Chinchilla Fight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandy

I have a younger male who got in a fight with his cage mate (both males) last night.
From what I can see the wound is dry, but it is his anus area that the other chinchilla bit. I can't see as the skin is lifted, but it may have been the skin right above it. I'm not sure..I can't make it out.
I have pictures, they're not the best but I will post soon.
I have put a call into the vet here (if I can get this vet to look at him I'd rather not have to take him elsewhere.) and am waiting for a call back.

My other chin is fine. Im really worried about Milo not being able to pass poops with this.
Hes in a carrier with feed.
My mother may want to take him to the vet herself as I am currently struggling with a bump/infection by my eye that has my face swollen..looks like was punched.
If this is the case..are there any notes I should write down for her to bring up to the vet?
Any certain pain meds or what not? I know ive read a lot of having to bring things up to vets or suggest certain things.... I'm really confident in this vet though.

Here's one pic.
Am going to see if another vet can take him in. Don't really want to wait for this one to call back.

Attachments

• IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 74
We got in touch. That's the vet were going to. :) Love dr.levitas. He's seen milo before and we used him when we had sick gerbil babies. He did far more than I thought any vet would care to.
Was actually suppose to go shadow at his office today, but couldnt with my eye..guess I'll be there anyway..
I can see milo isnt feeling well. He has an appt around 4. It's 11:30 here now.

He really does go above and beyond - it is who I refer all of my pet owners to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Waiting at the vets now
He said he can't tell what kind of wound were looking at..couldn't have been in a 'better' place. We decided not to risk infection of leaving it with meds and so he's going under to be closed up.
He said he's done this a lot with chins and his own rat he's put under for multiple tumors.
Should be a 30 minute deal he said. Will post when he gets out.

Last edited:
Milo made it out of surgery fine. We're home now and he's awake and getting into trouble.
Dr.levitas said if he hadn't done the surgery there's no way it would have healed. He had fur and hay in it and he had to remove the hanging skin to make a 'V' an upside down 'C' and then close it like you would a '0'.
Sorry..best I could do. Lol

He put sutures that dissolve inside so he won't mess with them. Also gave us an antibiotic to give once a day.

Anyway. Vet bill wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. About 250$..but it goes to show pairs can turn on each other at any given time.

Glad everything went ok. What a peculiar place for a bite / tear injury. Has he started pooing again normally? What antibiotics did he get put on?

Wow, that is an affordable vet!

He is pooping but it has yet to go back to its normal size. I think this is because he was not eating as much, but is starting to regain his appitite again.

The bottle does not give a name. I forgot the name he did say..all I remember is I was given 1cc and am suppose to give .4cc every night-once a day.

He's doing great. Wants out to play and is very lively again! His wound is healing nicely as well.

Back