Chinchilla fell about 10 feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks good. By the way, broccoli leaves are not good for chinchillas. They should not have veggies or fruit of ANY kind. Broccoli leaves are just as bad as the part we normally eat and could give him bloat or diarrhea.

That's what I thought at first, but my vet gave me a list of greens that are ok for chins to eat once in a while. His poop was a little soft afterwards though. I'll post up the list in a bitto see what you all think. He also eats Mazuri pellets and kaytee timothy hay

A lot of vets think that chinchillas can eat the same things as rabbits and guinea pigs since they are all rodents. This is not true, as is evidenced in the soft poo after eating the broccoli leaf. Chinchillas evolved eating dried grasses and that is what their digestive system can handle. No fruits or vegetable of any kind. Your vet is just not very well informed when it domes to chinchillas just like most vets out there.

Glad to see he seems to be Ok!

A lot of vets think that chinchillas can eat the same things as rabbits and guinea pigs since they are all rodents.

Rabbits are actually lagomorphs, but yep, I definitely wouldn't trust most vets to know about a good diet for chins, they do seem to make the assumption that they're the same as rabbits and piggies. Some even suggest lettuce, which isn't particularly good for rabbits either.

Back