Chinchilla fall

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J25023

My chinchilla had fallen in his cage yesterday and wasn't using a back leg after. I immediately took him to the vet afraid that it was broken to find out it was just dislocated at his hip and they thought the best thing to do was administering anesthesia and putting it back into place with the hope that it stays. I was just wondering about anyone else's experience with a chinchilla that has received anesthesia and how well they do after it/how long it takes to wear off. I know that he'll be off for a little while, but we're approaching 24 hours since having that done and he still seems very sleepy and kind of dazed. I'm not sure if he's having a bad reaction to everything that happened or if this is normal

I don't remember with chins, but I know for cats and dogs it can take up to 24 hours for all the anesthesia drugs to be out of their system, so could be similar for chinchillas too. I would call and ask the vet if it's been over 24 hours and no sign of improvement or if he seems worse. Also did they give him any pain meds and/or sedative drugs? Those could cause him to be sleepy, dazed, and hopefully calm so he heals.

Back