Chinchilla Dust and Silicosis? I may have an irrational fear and I think posting here might help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valdev

Hey everyone,

I recently realized that chinchilla dust is made from silicates generally. I've been using them since probably 2010, and have used both Kaytee brands and Oxbow (Blue Sparkle).

Does anyone know of any silicosis cases that have occurred due to Chinchilla dust?

I know most chinchilla dust is made from Pumice which is considered to be Amorphous (Compared to Crystaline Silica that is known to cause it). And I imagine even if it was Crystaline, the dust is likely not under 10 microns (but I have no way of telling)

I'm just... really scared.

Good question. I don't know about direct cases caused by chin dust, but I do think it's a possibility albeit a small one. I myself have used Kaytee brand dust for my first chin's entire life (15 years) and saw no issues with his breathing or my own. I have since switched to Oxbow dust and I have observed no issues with it so far. If you are really concerned though, I would suggest cleaning and dusting frequently and making sure that your chin bathes in a ventilated area. If you want a comprehensive article on the pros and cons of blue cloud dust, I suggest giving this article a read: X

I hope this helps.

When chins bath they actually seal their nostrils, so they aren't breathing in dust as they bath. It's more of a possible issue for humans then it is for chins, they literally evolved to bath in that kind of dust, humans didn't, but even then I have not heard of any cases of silicates from chin dust even from breeders (hundreds of chins to bathe) that have bred chins for several decades. However since chins can't seal their nose all the time that is one reason it's best not to leave the dust in the cage, it is known to cause upper respiratory infections. Personally I have them bath in a separate room so they aren't getting as much dust all over the cage. I know some people also run an air purifier in the room after dust baths to help remove the dust from the air, or have their chins bath in the tub or shower so they can just rinse the excess dust down the drain.

Hmm this is seriously making me consider trying out corn starch - I have asthma from a bad bout of pneumonia a year ago, so my lungs are very sensitive. The chinchillas are in a cage in my office which I spend a lot time in, and even if I try my best to keep the dust from getting everywhere, it probably still does.

Is corn starch really a feasible option though? I might also see if I can get my hands on some sepiolite.

I've also read here that Sweet PDZ is an option too? But I haven't read about it anywhere else.

Last edited:
Hmm this is seriously making me consider trying out corn starch - I have asthma from a bad bout of pneumonia a year ago, so my lungs are very sensitive. The chinchillas are in a cage in my office which I spend a lot time in, and even if I try my best to keep the dust from getting everywhere, it probably still does.

Is corn starch really a feasible option though? I might also see if I can get my hands on some sepiolite.

I've also read here that Sweet PDZ is an option too? But I haven't read about it anywhere else.

I also have asthma. When I used Blue Cloud, even with a mask, I would have an asthma attack. With Blue Sparkle, I'm fine. I do wear a mask and I don't go into my chin room for a while after I dust though. Keep in mind, you're dusting a few, I dust hundreds. In your office, I'd be more worried about what the dust is doing to my electronics than what it was doing to me! If you only have one or two chins, get one of those plastic houses for them to bathe in. It helps to keep the dust contained more than an open pan will.

As far as PDZ, you can use it for chins. I've used it in a mix of BS when I'm running low since I have to drive out of state to get dust. They do fine with it and there is practically note airborne dust; however, I've always wondered about using it just as is because it's pretty coarse. I have no problem using it in a mix, but I don't think I would use it as stand-alone dust.

I also have asthma. When I used Blue Cloud, even with a mask, I would have an asthma attack. With Blue Sparkle, I'm fine. I do wear a mask and I don't go into my chin room for a while after I dust though. Keep in mind, you're dusting a few, I dust hundreds. In your office, I'd be more worried about what the dust is doing to my electronics than what it was doing to me! If you only have one or two chins, get one of those plastic houses for them to bathe in. It helps to keep the dust contained more than an open pan will.

As far as PDZ, you can use it for chins. I've used it in a mix of BS when I'm running low since I have to drive out of state to get dust. They do fine with it and there is practically note airborne dust; however, I've always wondered about using it just as is because it's pretty coarse. I have no problem using it in a mix, but I don't think I would use it as stand-alone dust.

I use a plastic sneaker box that has a magnetic lid to try to contain the dust. I'll switch to giving them dustbaths in the bathtub and I'll give the blue sparkle/Sweet PDZ a try!

Corn starch doesn't really work for dust bath, it can be used in addition to the dust to help with removing surface stains (like pee stains) and even whiting the coat, but it doesn't properly get through the coat to clean all the way to the skin like proper volcanic dust does. You would also likely have to toss it out a lot more frequently since it's food (run the risk of things growing in it), as well as you'd have to make sure your chin doesn't eat it since it could make them sick.

Hmm I'm having a hard time finding Blue Sparkle online (that isn't a 50 lb bag). Does anyone have experience using Chill Dust? I did some reading and it says there's less dust in the air?

Hmm I'm having a hard time finding Blue Sparkle online (that isn't a 50 lb bag). Does anyone have experience using Chill Dust? I did some reading and it says there's less dust in the air?
I have not tried Chill Dust (not available in Canada) but I've been reading a lot of people really like it, and have said it's not as bad for their asthma. It's the recommended dust for chins on a FB chinchilla group I'm in.

I have not tried Chill Dust (not available in Canada) but I've been reading a lot of people really like it, and have said it's not as bad for their asthma. It's the recommended dust for chins on a FB chinchilla group I'm in.
Ok I'm going to give that a try with the sweet PDZ, and probably have the chins do their dust bath with their sneakerbox in the bathtub.

I've just recently bought the Chill Dust. The texture is very fine, but I feel it spreads just like the Blue Cloud I've used before.

Back