Chinchilla dumping food bowl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastette

Hey everyone, I hope that someone can help me with ideas for my chin. My chinchilla, Lyra, is 3 years old and I have had her since she was 4 months old. She does not chew on many things. I have tried tons of toys, different materials, etc. Recently she has started pulling her food dish off the hanger and dumping her food all over the place. At first I thought it was because it was close to being empty, but she just did it last night when it was full. I am not sure if she is doing this because she is bored but I have no idea what to put in her cage to help her since she is sooo picky and does not like a lot of things. She has plenty of wooden ledges, hut, hay holder, etc. She has a fleece cube, wheel, two pillows, a tunnel, and of course glass water bottle.

Here is what she likes:
Only as small thin sticks - apple, red elm, and mulberry
She sometimes like vine made things (balls, stars, hearts, et). She will chew on them some and then never again.
Small pieces of colored wood which comes on many toys, but again will chew on them some and sometimes never again
Very small thin pieces of loofah
Lava stone ledges that I break into smaller pieces, like the size of a quarter
Palm leaf objects, only chews on them a little and then never again
Finger traps - hit or miss
Water hyacinth ball
Hay cubes
She does eat the hay when I stuff it into balls. Once the hay is gone I can recycle the ball a few times before she has no interest in it.

Things she does not like:
Any other kind of wood (pine is hit or miss because I know the small colorful toy parts are pine and she will chew on them sometimes)
Any kind of wood in shapes besides thin squares or rectangles (beads, flowerpots, etc.)
Sea grass
Cholla
Big pieces of loofah
Bagels (she actually eats these, so anything papery or cardboard is a no)
Pumice not from Lava ledges
Coconut shell and husk
Twisted hay

She gets fresh Timothy Hay in the mornings and more fresh at night and I will sometimes mix in some Orchard hay with it. She also gets treats like plain shredded wheat, rolled oats, dried hibiscus, horse cookies (they are apple flavored and sold on some chinchilla store websites, but broken into very small pieces) and an occasional goji berry. She also only has one bottom incisor (tooth). She has been to the vet and had x-rays done, it is not causing her problems with eating or chewing and I check her teeth regularly to make sure they are not getting too long. The tooth is "dead" and has not grown, I believe she came to me that way as she never had an accident or anything that could have caused that. I did not take her to the vet until I notice it about 4 months after I got her. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas to stop her pulling her food bowl and dumping it or for things she can chew on? Thanks so much!

I know they make bowls for small animals and birds that can be secured to the bars of the cage, so that could be a good solution for her dumping her pellets out. My chin used to dump her food bowl sometimes, but I just got her a ceramic bowl with a wide base that doesn't tip easily, and that's worked fine for us, but it sounds like your girl might need something that actually bolts onto the cage. My chin will dump her hay everywhere, so her hay feeder is bolted to the cage bars.

From the sounds of it, your girl does chew on some things, but she may just be a little pickier than some. Have you tried giving her both loose toys and hanging toys? Some chins prefer one over the other, or prefer certain materials presented in certain ways. For example, my chin likes willow vine balls, but seems to get more excited about the bigger ones than she does the smaller ones. Also, she'll chew on coconut shells when I hang them on the cage bars, but she won't really touch them if I just toss them in her cage loose. For loofahs, however, she prefers those to be loose rather than hanging. She loves seagrass balls, but doesn't really touch seagrass twists. 🤷 Every chin is different, so my best advice is to experiment not just with materials, but also with the size and presentation of various chew toys. And offer a variety. Rotate things in and out every few days to keep things fresh and exciting for her. My chin loves loofah and pumice stone, but if I give those to her every day, she seems to start to get bored of them, so I'll try to rotate the sorts of chew toys I offer throughout the week. One day she might get apple sticks and a hay ball, the next day she might get willow sticks and a seagrass ball, the next day she might get pumice stones and a willow vine ball, the next day she might get loofah and pine wood.....etc. Plus I keep a variety of hanging toys that I try to change out and switch around weekly. Some are apple wood or pine wood hanging toys that I buy, but I also make my own hanging toys with stainless steel wire and/or toy kabobs. I'll hang up things like vine balls, coconut shells, loofah, pumice stone, etc.

Chins are smart little buggers, which means they tend to get bored easily. The best way to keep them mentally and physically stimulated is to get creative and offer as much variety in materials, size, and presentation as you can to keep things fresh and interesting for them.

Thank you for your response. She does have a bowl that bolts to the cage but she is able to pull it out of the hanger and carries at around the cage dumping the food. A heavier ceramic bowl might be a better idea like yours. Thanks!

She does not seem to like hanging toys and prefers toss toys. If I get a hanging toy, I usually end up taking it apart and giving her the pieces individually, especially if she does not seem interested in certain parts of the toy and wants them out of the way. I do try to rotate things which is why I know she does not seem interested in things again after the initial introduction. Sometimes she will interact with them for a little bit when the toy returns to the cage but as soon as she realizes what it is, she's like "screw that, I didn't want it last time why would I want it now."

I wasn't sure if there is some other materials that others have thought of that I may have missed. She does not like wood as coins either and just likes them as small thin sticks that she eats like the hay or peels that bark off of and just those three "flavors" apple, red elm, and mulberry.

I would try a ceramic bowl that bolts to the side of the cage, like
https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-P...58093&sprefix=hooded+bird+bowl,aps,163&sr=8-2or
https://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/t...y-and-pellet-feeder-68270.html?fmethod=Searchbut with the metal grate removed, chins have gotten caught in them.

I do wonder what other kinds of wood have you actually tried? There are over 30 different kinds of wood that are safe for chins. For example she likes apple, have you tried different kinds of apple? and what about pear or kiwi, other fruit woods? Sorry if you have already tried I just know mine likes apple and pear about the same for example. Here is a list of safe wood in case there are any you haven't tried
92419564_10216710119969816_2657289437037199360_n.jpg

Another thing you can try is flavoring the wood, soak the wood, especially wood that has had the bark chewed off, in a "tea" made of chin safe treats she likes, for example flowers like, rose, lavender, hibiscus, or herbs like mint. After soaking them then bake them dry and it will leave them with a flavor. Here is a list of safe treats in case you need it

InkedTreat list_LI.jpg

Have you tried actual pumice or just the "lava" rocks sold at pet stores? the actual pumice stones look like rocks like this Large Pumice Stones Also have you tried palm leaf shredder? It's a ribbon of palm leaf I like to weave it into toys as well as into the cage bars for mine to pull out. If she only will chew on a few things though, you may be just have to stick with just a few things.

Just a word of caution, the water hyacinth, although not toxic, it's a hard to digest fiber, so it can cause a blockage if enough is swallowed at one time. Also I know she doesn't like it but the coconut husk is not safe, it's a tough fiber which is hard to digest and can tangle in the gut. The coconut shell is safe though and they can be used as a bowl, I use one as a treat bowl it's been in the cage for years. That actually could be another option, drill a whole through a half shell and bolt it to the side of the cage for the food. You could also try having a few food bowl and split her daily food into different bowls just so she has to go around and search for her food, help get her mind working a bit.

Thank you for your feedback. I have tried a number of the woods and treats on your list but there are some I have not so I will look into those. I have tried both actual Pumice Stone and "lava" rocks and she does not like either, just the Lava ledges made by Kaytee and broken into smaller pieces. The coconut shell might be a good idea for the food bowl too, I have a half shell already. I do know that the water hyacinth is not the best but she does not eat it and just shreds it. She's only had two balls her whole life. I then stuff then with hay and she usually just gets the hay and does not bother with the ball again. I appreciate the suggestions.

Back