Chinchilla Dry Ears?

Help Support Chins & Hedgies:

MinatoandChili

Hi everyone, I have my 2 year old chin who I rescued not too long ago from a lady who would shower him with water instead of dust and came to me with dry ears. I’ve took him to the vet, but to be honest I don’t trust the vet anymore so I stopped going to him. I was given a Tresaderm oil treatment for his ears but I’m not sure if I even trust it. As first I gave it to him and it seemed to somewhat work, but it went back to dry and flaky. I’ve researched about this problem with other chins and I’ve seen a solution is to use a swab and put vitamin e on the ear. I’m not fully sure what to do as I just want to get some advice to help his ears. He doesn’t show any signs of stress and doesn’t try to scratch them. As for baths: I give him baths around twice a week, these are some photos
0AD8D103-F48D-4DD8-88DD-998C5FF8CD8B.jpegDF492351-AE9A-4ADD-9107-83F970E3EC52.jpegC6782524-E9CD-423E-B83A-5BA3F843232A.jpeg

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
If he's being dust bathed too much, dry ears can occur. Two shouldn't cause dryness though. You can use vitamin E capsules for his ears. Just punch a hole in one and rub it on the ears, being sure to rub it in. It's light and pretty absorbent so he won't be a big mess after you're done. Also, if he grooms, it won't hurt him if he licks his paws.

MinatoandChili

Thank you for your reply, I have a picture below but would you know if these are safe for him? I’m not sure how to tell, I tried researching but I didn’t get an answer. And how many times? image.jpg

Binki

My rescue chin had a serious problem with dry ears as a result of being a bath monster. Like you, I found the vet rather unhelpful, with recommended balms ending as oily marks on his coat. So I made my own with 2/3 eco aloe vera gel (pricey but worth every penny) + 1/3 Sudocream Care (tested it first on the tip of his ear): I thinly spread it on both index & thumb & patted in place. Also, I drastically cut his bath time to just one roll. He was not very happy about it (actually if a chin's angry looks could kill I woudl not be writing this) but thus far, no more dry ears.

Last edited:

ARPena415

I’ve used Bag Balm in the past for my chin’s dry back feet - they once cracked and even bled!

Now he only gets baths M, W, F.
It’s been a few years since he’s needed the ointment (and he hated it! 😅). I was also giving him too many baths back then

MinatoandChili

My rescue chin had a serious problem with dry ears as a result of being a bath monster. Like you, I found the vet rather unhelpful, with recommended balms ending as oily marks on his coat. So I made my own with 2/3 eco aloe vera gel (pricey but worth every penny) + 1/3 Sudocream Care (tested it first on the tip of his ear): I thinly spread it on both index & thumb & patted in place. Also, I drastically cut his bath time to just one roll. He was not very happy about it (actually if a chin's angry looks could kill I woudl not be writing this) but thus far, no more dry ears.
Thank you, I’m looking into that treatment because I see that vitamin e also gets on his coat. But I’ll be sure to update the process😊

MinatoandChili

I’ve used Bag Balm in the past for my chin’s dry back feet - they once cracked and even bled!

Now he only gets baths M, W, F.
It’s been a few years since he’s needed the ointment (and he hated it! 😅). I was also giving him too many baths back then
My chin doesn’t care much about it, but sometimes he does get fussy 😂 So hopefully he doesn’t get too bothered by the balm I’m planning to make! Thanks for the response:)

Jawramik

I'd cut back the dust baths to once a week....or maybe even less, like every 10 days. Even though twice-weekly dust baths are probably not the cause of the problem, the dust likely does dry out his ears a little, so while you're trying to get his skin in better shape, I think less is more when it comes to dust baths. I only bathe my chin once a week, and I handle her quite a bit. Her coat does start to look slightly greasy by the end of the week, but I think a slightly greasy-looking coat is better than dry skin.

Chinmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
My chin doesn’t care much about it, but sometimes he does get fussy 😂 So hopefully he doesn’t get too bothered by the balm I’m planning to make! Thanks for the response:)
Any updates?:) Hope he's okay now.

MinatoandChili

Any updates?:) Hope he's okay now.
The vitamin capsule has actually been helping his ears. I was going to try the homemade special balm but it seemed to work pretty well and while I monitor him it doesn’t seem to like he cares about it!

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I'm glad the vitamin E is working well. As long as you rub it in, there shouldn't be an issue with his coat.

Chinmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The vitamin capsule has actually been helping his ears. I was going to try the homemade special balm but it seemed to work pretty well and while I monitor him it doesn’t seem to like he cares about it!
That's good news. Thanks for the update, and keep us posted?

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two questions please guide me about this. These questions are shown below here:

1. https://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/threads/from-gosloto-1-to-none-to-3.40656/
2. https://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/threads/mocha-lunchtime-my-service-chinchilla.40654/

Waiting for best answer as soon as possible. I am too confused here.
Neither of those threads you linked are questions, both are introducing chinchillas. You might want to just create a new thread and ask what you want to know.