Chinchilla dancing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
OK, this might be completely normal, but Carmen has never done it and she is our first chin, so I'm not sure.

Minnie will stand up on her hind legs, bend backward until she almost falls over, and kind of dance around. She does it when there is nothing above her head, so I don't think she's trying to see something. It's amusing to watch, but I was wondering if there was any purpose to it. We always say she's trying to ballroom dance, but I was wondering if anyone else had a chin perform this particular maneuver.

Is she white by any chance? Every white I have does this, and I think it's because they are brain damaged. :)

I've seen lots of chins do this, but almost every one of them has been white.

ETA: Yup, I see in your description it's a white. How did I know?? LOL

LOL, Twilight and Starlight (both mosaics) do this...whites are just something special, lol.

We used to have a chin Oriville who was a white violet that would do something sort of like this. He would slide backwards over the top of his sleeping ledge , fall off and do it all over again. I never did get a video of it,, but it was cute to watch.

All whites are brain damaged?!?!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aww Peggy, why doesn't MuShu dance? Did you give me the only normal one out of your bunch?
Honestly, I've never seen her do anything like this.. :( lol

Anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRZA-Q_8pU

We had a discussion about it on the uk forums and the general opinion is that Chins seem to do this behaviour when they smell something they like.

I have heard the theory that all whites are loopy though - seems to be true from the whites i've met but I don't own one.

No, the dance doesn't look like that, though that is SUPER cute!

I will try to get a video of it this weekend and see if I can post it. I'm glad to hear that other chinnies do it, but I'm sad to hear that Minnie might not be quite right in the head :(;)

We have 3 chins I can think of that do something similar, and their all white :thinking:

I've only seen izzie do this when going after a hanging toy... Man, I hope she does the cute dancing thing... *watches her carefully* I mean, she sure acts loopy... 5 different comfy places to sleep, and she sleeps with her head hanging over the edge of a shelf... My little genius. (And no, it isn't 'cause the room is too warm for fleece, trust me).

I will try to get a video of it this weekend and see if I can post it. I'm glad to hear that other chinnies do it, but I'm sad to hear that Minnie might not be quite right in the head.

It's alright Jenny - We love them for their differences. :)

I can honestly say I've never seen any other chin do this than my whites, and Grianne is the Lord of the Dance. I use to worry that she would fall off of shelves because she would dance so close to the edge, but she never has.

The other other thing that compares is I had a chin we named Matrix. She came from nonchewing animals with no history of chewing in their backgrounds, yet we noticed that she was gradually losing fur on her back and her hips and tail. I was VERY frustrated because she was a stunning beige that I was hoping to show then use for breeding. I have wood houses in my cages, with a hole in the front and back for doors, then solid sides and top. The girl child came in one day laughing hysterically and told me I HAD to come and watch. Matrix (whose name was changed on the spot) was flipping through her house, on her back, over and over again. She would start inside, scoot through the front door, run her back over the top of the house, then in the back door, upside down! She did this over and over again really fast! If we pulled the house out, she would sit at the door, patiently waiting for you to put the house back in, then she'd do it some more. It wasn't neurological, she didn't do it because she had damage. She acted like a normal chin in every other way, but for this one thing. Sadly, when we had the feed issue, she was one of the first to pass. I cried for days over that girl.

Yup, that's it. :)

I swear white's are just a little less full in the noggin' than other mutations.

LOL Murphy does this every night. I SWEAR he is brain damaged.

I thought it was just him, but apparently this is common!!

Yep, that's what Starry does...she's a tripod, though, so she only does it when she can hold on to the bars of the cage with one hand and twirl. Twilight does that for no reason...although his new favorite thing is jumping up the wall of the cage onto the top of his hanging fleece bag, back down the side, then jump up again. I really do think whites are a little strange...

that's cute. wierd but cute. Reminds me of Angelina Ballerina....

Back