Chinchilla cat scratch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cami.elaine

Hi! My name is Cameron and I have a little chin named yoisho
Ive had her for a year and a half and shes been very loving and has been very well! I also own two cats which are separated when yoisho is out. But recently she was playing in my room with the door closed and one of the cats scratched her back paw under the door. the cut was pretty bad. I didn't know what to do except keep it clean and put medicine on it. It started to scab up and she was doing fine. But like most scabs, it started to itch for her and she kept chewing on it and she reopened the wound

So I went to her vet and we got a cone for her. She no longer chews on it but she refuses to eat or drink with the cone on. So now we're in this state of putting the cone on whenever she chews on it and taking it off when it scabs up (usually scabs up in a day or two).

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 3.04.30 AM.png
I don't know if i should put gauze on it instead, if so how would i do that? anything helps!

I wouldn't put gauze cuz she may chew on it. What you could do is make gauze out of fleece and see how that holds up. Next time keep the cats locked in a different room if possible in order to avoid situations like this. You can also encourage her to eat. She may be being picky but it may be uncomfortable to eat with it on. For example if she's trying to look down at her food bowl or simply can't see. With water they usually look up to drink. Taking it off and then in when the damage has already been done is pointless. When feeding I would try to hand feed her. So just hand her for to straight to her mouth. I can imagine how hard it is to eat with that on. They eat like we do... Pick up with hands and put in mouth. So just imagine if you had to eat and drink like that. I would have the cone off while she is eating and have designated times where it's off for her to eat hay and drink. But you must monitor her the entire time. If this keeps up it's going to get worse

Back