chinchilla cage placement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LannyCoop

Hello all! I have a quick question about cage placement in my room. Mainly well I have his cage on top of my dresser so he's high up but the cage is very heavy and my dad is starting to hurt his back lifting it up and down. My question is will it affect kiefer if his cage is on the floor? Or is it okay to keep it there. We have no threat animal wise. Any help would be great! Thanks so much :) I reallly want a ferret nation one day but haven't found an affordable one for me! Haha one day :p thanks for your input! -Alannah

He will be fine on the floor, but why can't you move the cage as needed? As a 12 year old girl I was havesting hay bales. And will the cage still need lifting for cleaning? Would it help to get a very sturdy "coffee" table? 5-10 bucks at a thrift store and an old one is much sturdier than new stuff

Last edited:
Yah I can lift the top of the cage off from the ground its just an awkward shape to lift alone and well, not to go into to much life details I have a muscular dystrophy that makes my muscles not as strong. As does my mom, along with other things. Anyways my mom is just trying to make sure my dad doesn't hurt himself. He'll keep doing it if its gonna be an health concern but were just trying to make it less stressful on everyone. And I mean I can help him or my mom he just doesn't want us to get hurt, he's a worrier :p

Last edited:
If there's nothing that can harm him from being on the floor (e.g. other pets etc) he'll be fine moving there. He'll get used to it as a change.

I'd just stick him on the floor and not worry about it. No use having someone get hurt over something that isn't dangerous to fix!

Ya ok thanks so much for both your help! I just want it to be good for everyone involved : ) so if it won't harm him then he shall have a new placement hehe!

Hi Lanny. How tall is your cage? I like addictedto chins idea of a low coffee table or a table for a TV.
Are you using a wheelchair yet? I do not mean to be rude, but if you have a chair, then a low table on legs means you could pull up with your chair to get right to the cage when you want to interact with your little furball. ;)

I loved the idea of getting an old one at a thrift store! That's a great idea!

I should look into something smaller just the cage is about 2-3 feet and all metal so it is really heavy. And I won't ever need to be in a wheelchair don't worry I understand people have suggestions, I am fortunate that my form is the least severe so I have full motor use like a "regular" person my muscles will just never be strong like the "average" person. If that makes sense haha. But ya maybe if it was a lower table it would be less stressful. I take it its really not a good idea to have a cage on the floor?

I have a few that are at floor level. There is no problem with it as far as the chins go, however, it is a bit of a pain to interact with the chinchilla when the cage is that low.

Back