Chinchilla breathing problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillyx

Need advice for a chinchilla that’s is acting normal but breathing heavy, both awake and sleeping.
bloodwork results came back all organs functioning normally.
xrays showed a calcified blood clot from awhile ago in the chest, spondylosis, and gas. Also the vets noticed on further look at the pictures thickening of the lymph nodes around the front of the heart. I can attach pictures.
we are currently treating with Baytril for a possible infection, and metacam since Thursday incase it was from pain. Been on Baytril for only a day so far. He is 11 years old and always been in good health
I’m giving him critical care to counteract the effects of Baytril and baby gas drops. He is the love of my life and I can’t picture him not in it anymore

Attachments

• 4076AFCF-191B-4DD8-9DBC-A732FBA8DD0C.png
    4076AFCF-191B-4DD8-9DBC-A732FBA8DD0C.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 805419EA-187E-49AB-8C31-ED3BBEE3909A.png
    805419EA-187E-49AB-8C31-ED3BBEE3909A.png
    208 KB · Views: 2
From the x-ray it seems he only has one functional lung. I'm not a Veterinarian so it's not a professional opinion. However, the lung on the right side of photo appears to be (full of fluid?) / not functional. How long has his breathing been short and fast? Swollen lymph nodes indicate an infection. Please Keep in touch and let us know how he is doing.
💖🐁🙋🏻‍♀️

I see what you’re saying about the lungs but it’s just not possible that he wouldn’t of told me that, he’s been a vet for over 30 years and is pretty renowned. He is known for doing lots of complicated surgeries. He is also chin savvy (sees at least one chin app per day) I brought him to the clinic when he started breathing like this Thurs afternoon (Aug 13)
I was thinking the same thing about the lymph nodes so hoping the antibiotics are going to help us.
Also I should note I didn’t realize how high the humidity got in his room in the basement (69%), I quickly got a dehumidifier going when I noticed yesterday evening, maybe the high humidity caused an infection

I see what you’re saying about the lungs but it’s just not possible that he wouldn’t of told me that, he’s been a vet for over 30 years and is pretty renowned. He is known for doing lots of complicated surgeries. He is also chin savvy (sees at least one chin app per day) I brought him to the clinic when he started breathing like this Thurs afternoon (Aug 13)
I was thinking the same thing about the lymph nodes so hoping the antibiotics are going to help us.
Also I should note I didn’t realize how high the humidity got in his room in the basement (69%), I quickly got a dehumidifier going when I noticed yesterday evening, maybe the high humidity caused an infection

Good going with the Dehumidifier.. Definitely need to keep humidity in check. Leave no stone unturned. Ask your vet "Why is there such a difference in appearance between the two lungs?" It's obvious... but is it normal? Do the antibiotics seem to be working?
💖🐭🙋🏻‍♀️

Back