Chinchilla bleeding from anus HELP!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCC

Professional poop sweeper
Her owner noticed the blood last night around the genital area and assumed she had a misscarriage, she realised this morning that it was actually the anus as all her droppings are covered in blood.

She is trying to find a vet now (it's Saturday and her usual vet is away, no one else wants to deal with chins because they are so rare) but would like some advice. Does anyone know what it might be? Or have any tips on what to do for the chinny while she is looking a for another vet?!

There is no visable prolapse, is it possible there may be one further up?

Aside from silght swelling this morning she hasn't mentioned any other symptoms but I have e-mailed her to check.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks Lynn, I will try her.

And we are still trying to find a vet who can see her asap but no luck :( She is booked in with the normal vet as soon as they get back but that isn't until next week.

Thankfully she is still her normal self and we are wondering if it might be constipation? Her droppings are a little short but not really skinny.

Would a bit of castor oil on a bit of burnt toast help to move things along if it is constipation?

Simethicone could help with moving things along, but she really needs to see a vet.

Was the blood bright red or just brownish? She could have some irritation in her intestinal tract causing some brown mucus. That's actually still very serious and she would need to see a vet. It is a very good thing she still has droppings.

Chin breeders and owners get very nervous about this because it could mean the chin has some intestinal problems that could result in prolapse. I'm hoping you can find a vet very soon!

Prolapse is what we are worried about, is it possible for a chin to get a prolapse further up the intestinal tract so it couldn't be seen externally?

And yes, it was bright red, definitely blood, no other discharge.

I have never heard of Simethicone but I will pass that on and maybe we can find it (or something similar) at a local pharmacy. Thanks.

It could be some sort of trauma, an intussusception, something in the large intestine since it is straight blood, and not "digested" blood.

A vet visit is definitely in order and I hope you find one soon!

Definitely a vet. One thing that comes to mind is what diet is she on? And possibly something parasitic causing bleeding lesions in the GIT...

Thanks Alicyn, I knew it could happen I just couldn't remember what it was called. Luckily she's still pooping regularly so we are hoping it isn't that.

And I'm not 100% certain of the diet she is on at the moment but I'm pretty sure it is a hay mix (meadow and lucerne) with a chinny "treat" mix (all chin safe) and possibly pellets on the side.

I'll pass the parasitic thing along and see what the vet says when she goes in to see them. What sort of parasite's would cause intestinal bleeding?

Ok, we are back to thinking misscarriage now. New discharge, mucus-y with blood from the vagina.

Could the droppings just have got blood on them in passing if this is the case? ie it sort of just rubbed off?

There is an odour from this discharge but not an offensive odour, could it mean an infection might be starting to set in?

She may have found a vet, though not experienced with chinchillas so it's going to be a learning curve for all involved, now just to see if she is available to see her on a Sunday!

Thanks to everyone for their help so far!

Chins should NOT have pellets with 'treat mix' . Sounds like Kaytee Fiesty mix which is extremely bad for chins and can cause digestive problems. The chin needs to be put on a good chin chow. Most pet store chin chow is junk. Treats sold at pet stores are NOT 'chin safe' Most are VERY bad for chins. You can get Mazuri or Oxbow from some pet store - they are very good chows. Of course the chin should see a vet ASP.

No, it's not a commercially produced treat, its a mix of herbs and things, similar to the Fuzzies Kingdom mix, we just call it "treat" because the chins love it, it's only about 1/2-1 teaspoon a day maximum per chin.

Unfortunately in NZ we can't get either Mazuri or Oxbow, can't even get Purina to bring in the Show Rabbit Chow!! :(

Sorry for not updating you guys sooner!

Rosa's mum finally managed to track down a vet who was willing to look at little Rosa and first thing Monday morning she was seen by the vet who agrees definitely an infection and they have worked out an antibiotic regime for her.

The vet also thinks there may be a retained fetus so they are also giving labour stimulating drugs in the hope it will be expelled naturally as the vet isn't too keen on operating on a chin so they want to try the other options first.

She is still looking and acting fine so we are hoping this has been caught early enough, fingers crossed. Thank you all for your help, and if you have anything further to add let me know!

I'm glad she's on antibiotics! A retained fetus can kill a mother chin. Keep us updated! If they can get the chin to have some contractions and get everything out, that would be the way to go. But, make sure that they watch this chinchilla closely because surgery may be necessary.

Well, the drugs seem to have worked! Rosa passed a fetus this morning. The vet could only feel one so we are hoping that's all.

She is still on antibiotics and under observation.

Back