Chinchilla Bad Spot CONCERNED

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinatoandChili

Hi everyone I really hope you guys can help me. I’ve had Minato since March and I’ve never noticed this problem. He has a bald spot near his leg, but there’s no rash or bruising that I know of. There’s a picture below. I noticed the feeling yesterday but when I checked, I didn’t see the bald spot until today. There’s no hair, but what I find weird is that there’s no redness. Maybe it’s grooming? I sometimes see him tugging or scratching the area but nothing concerning, mainly just as grooming. As to his behavior; he doesn’t show any signs of stress. I think it could be that he wants to chew on something? But I have his chew toys; wood, small biting blocks, big biting blocks. Could anybody help if they know about this. I live in San Diego but travel to Los Ángeles too, so could any of you recommend me to a trusted vet. ( I had one but I stopped trusting the place). Thank you!

Attachments

• 45138590-C5C7-41FD-AAC2-F992CA0ACDD0.jpeg
    45138590-C5C7-41FD-AAC2-F992CA0ACDD0.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ADCE4E8B-F1E8-41DE-975B-9435BC0F120F.jpeg
    ADCE4E8B-F1E8-41DE-975B-9435BC0F120F.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
It kind of just looks like a fur slip to me. It can happen if they get startled by something or if grabbed (I would assume you didn't or you would have said) if you have any other people or animals things can happen. I know one of my chins pushed a hanging toy and it came back at him and hit him in the side causing a fur slip, I'm glad I saw it because I wouldn't have known what happened otherwise.

It kind of just looks like a fur slip to me. It can happen if they get startled by something or if grabbed (I would assume you didn't or you would have said) if you have any other people or animals things can happen. I know one of my chins pushed a hanging toy and it came back at him and hit him in the side causing a fur slip, I'm glad I saw it because I wouldn't have known what happened otherwise.
Hi Amethyst! Thanks for the response. It might be that because I have a neighbor who has a dog and I see that he gets startled sometimes. Quick question: Should I expect fur to grow back in a couple weeks? Or what should I expect?

It depends on were in the shedding cycle the chin is in, they shed or "prime" about every 4-6 months. So if they just started a priming cycle it can take a few weeks, but if they just finished one it could be a few months before it fully grows back.

Hi Amethyst! Thanks for the response. It might be that because I have a neighbor who has a dog and I see that he gets startled sometimes. Quick question: Should I expect fur to grow back in a couple weeks? Or what should I expect?
Hey, do you have peace of mind now?:)

Back