Chinchilla acting different

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mermaidmob

Hi guys. I have a 3 year old female named Sprinkles. I've had her since December and she always had the same behavior. For the past couple weeks she's been acting different. She's still peeing/pooping/drinking/eating like normal, but there are a couple of behavioral things different. She used to sleep through the day in her hanging bed but I've seen her outside of it a lot in the middle of the day or even just early for her to be awake. Sometimes she's just sleeping behind her wooden hut but other times she is up and moving around. I did buy her a new bed a few weeks before she started acting differently. It was the exact same as her old bed and she didn't seem to have a problem with it for the first few weeks so I don't think that's the problem. I also have super rarely heard her make sounds but twice now I've heard her sitting there making a tiny noise over and over. She used to sometimes move her wooden hutch away from the normal spot but now almost every day it's shoved to the middle of the cage. That's all the big changes I can think of right now. Any help would be super appreciated!

If the only changes are she is more active then I'm not seeing any thing to worry about. I would be more worried if she suddenly was sleeping more and became less active. As for sleeping in different places, that is not uncommon either, mine normally sleeps in his house, but in the winter I find him more often in his hammock when I get up in the morning. They also do like to rearrange the cage sometimes.

In case you didn't know, they aren't actually really nocturnal, they crepuscular, like cats, they nap throughout the day but do get up here and there for a bite to eat, drink of water, chew on some things, or to just stretch their legs, but are most awake during the early morning and late evening. So being up at random times during the day is pretty normal. She could just be feeling more comfortable, they do also adapt a bit to our schedule too so they are awake a bit more during times when you will normally be around or feed them.

If the only changes are she is more active then I'm not seeing any thing to worry about. I would be more worried if she suddenly was sleeping more and became less active. As for sleeping in different places, that is not uncommon either, mine normally sleeps in his house, but in the winter I find him more often in his hammock when I get up in the morning. They also do like to rearrange the cage sometimes.

In case you didn't know, they aren't actually really nocturnal, they crepuscular, like cats, they nap throughout the day but do get up here and there for a bite to eat, drink of water, chew on some things, or to just stretch their legs, but are most awake during the early morning and late evening. So being up at random times during the day is pretty normal. She could just be feeling more comfortable, they do also adapt a bit to our schedule too so they are awake a bit more during times when you will normally be around or feed them.
I did know they rearrange their cages, it was just odd to me that she was doing it so consistently when she hadn't before. I did know they were crepuscular but she's always seemed a fan of beauty sleep and was never up during the day or even as early as my other one. But if you think nothing's wrong, that's reassuring. Thanks for getting back to me!

Back