Chin with labored breathing, not getting better with antibiotics. Thoughts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amccreary

I have a male chinchilla named Malfoy who is around 9 years old. Back in December, he started getting a white discharge in the corner of one of his eyes, and then the other eye as well. He then started to have labored breathing and congestion, so I took him to an exotic vet. The vet said his lungs sounded good and thought it might be an upper respiratory infection. For the next 10 days I gave him an antibiotic and eye drops, and he got much better. Had a followup vet appointment and everything seemed normal.

A few days after the follow-up appt (no longer on the medications), he started to get the eye discharge again. I wanted to take him back to the same vet, but he wasn't in for a few days. I ended up taking him to another exotic animal vet, who said that it looked like he had dental disease. She put him on a different antibiotic and a pain medication (over $200 with vet visit), and wanted me to schedule him for a molar trim (~$300) when he got better. In addition, she wanted me to do x-rays (wanted $650) or CT scan ($1200!!!!).

He seemed to feel a little better with the new antibiotic at first, but then I noticed he stopped eating. I started syringe feeding him critical care (20 mL twice a day, as recommended by the vet), which he hates. I called the vet back as he seemed to be barely moving and in pain, where he would put his cheek up against the cage to try to apply pressure. She prescribed a stronger pain medication, and ever since he went on that his breathing has been labored. He appears to be gasping for breath, and occasionally still has the eye discharge.

I have an appt to get the molar trim tomorrow, but i'm even worried about having him sedated with his breathing the way it is. I have already spent over $300 just on the vet visits and the meds, and I know that I cannot afford to do the x-ray PLUS whatever fix the vet would then recommend. It's so hard watching him, looking like he is in pain, and at this point I just feel like I'm torturing him....

I don't know what to do...do I get him the molar trim in the hopes it will bring some relief? I don't see it improving his breathing unless that is due to the pain medication. Or is it time to let him cross the rainbow bridge in peace, without suffering? If its malo and his roots are going into his nasal cavity (labored breathing, eye discharge), then there is nothing i can do for my little guy.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or have any thoughts? They would be much appreciated.

You need to get your boy whatever treatment is necessary. I would imagine he is suffering from a tooth issue.

The answer is not always that easy. Not everybody has $2000.00 sitting around.

As to the poster, the vet cannot diagnose a tooth issue without x-rays. However, I will say this. I have had many chins over the years with the symptoms you have described who are NOT dental issues. They get goopy eyes and a respiratory issue, which is treated with oral antibiotics and eye drops/ointment. Respiratory issues in chins are a huge issue. Sometimes just one course of antibiotics doesn't work and sometimes the infection isn't sensitive to the antibiotic that is given. What did he take the first time? Is it possible to get him a second course or a course of a different antibiotic? Unless it's dire, I use trimethoprim sulfa which is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic.

The answer is not always that easy. Not everybody has $2000.00 sitting around.

As to the poster, the vet cannot diagnose a tooth issue without x-rays. However, I will say this. I have had many chins over the years with the symptoms you have described who are NOT dental issues. They get goopy eyes and a respiratory issue, which is treated with oral antibiotics and eye drops/ointment. Respiratory issues in chins are a huge issue. Sometimes just one course of antibiotics doesn't work and sometimes the infection isn't sensitive to the antibiotic that is given. What did he take the first time? Is it possible to get him a second course or a course of a different antibiotic? Unless it's dire, I use trimethoprim sulfa which is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic.

Hi, thanks for your response!

The first time, he was put on Gentocin ophthalmic and SMZ TMP suspension for 10 days. Not sure which one is the eye drop and which one is the antibiotic. He seemed much better for a time after this treatment.

Second vet prescribed Meloxidyl/Meloxicam Oral Susp for pain and Baytril/Enrofloxacin antibiotic. He got better for a time but then went downhill. I called back to say he appeared to be in a lot of pain, she prescribed Gabapentin and we scheduled the molar trim for today. He'd been on that antibiotic for about two weeks.

Today he has his molar trim, and although his breathing was abnormal he did great. The vet said that while some of the teeth needed to be filed down as they were rubbing against his cheek, she didn't think the teeth were the main issue. She has been very understanding that I can't afford the x-ray plus further treatment, and has suggested that we put him on a nebulizer treatment with saline and Azithromycin as the antibiotic, twice a day (the antibiotic is only included once a day). I gave him his first treatment about an hour ago and he didn't seem to mind it! He was just hanging out in the box, and his breathing seemed slightly improved after it. Only time will tell, but good thoughts are appreciated! If this one doesn't work, I could suggest the trimethoprim sulfa to the vet?

Believe me, if money wasn't an issue for me, I would do all of the treatment plans in the world to try and get my little buddy better, starting of course with an x-ray. I've saved about $1000 for emergencies, but even that seems to be chump change. I paid $300 for the first two sets of antibiotics plus vet visits, and $300 for the molar trim/sedation/new antibiotic/saline, and the vet was nice enough to loan me a nebulizer machine. If i got the x-ray, i'm already over what I can afford before I could pay for any additional treatment. It's a hard place to be in, but unfortunately its reality.

Gentocin is the eye drop and SMZ TMP is trimethoprim sulfa. It doesn't sound like teeth are the issue, as confirmed by your vet. Chins have a very, very delicate respiratory system. Anything can set them off. Is he in an area with a draft? Is there a fan blowing at him? Is he on dusty bedding? Is there good ventilation in the room where he's kept? What is the temperature and humidity of the room? Do you use heavy scented things (candles, diffuser, etc.) where he is exposed to it? Just a couple things to mull over while he's on this next course of antibiotics.

I've used actual medicine in my nebulizer for my rats. You might ask your vet if albuterol (cut with a lot of saline) would be safe for him. Saline is just moisture, but albuterol will actually open his lungs up.

Back