Chin testicle larger than the other.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

While I was socializing with my chins, I noticed that one of them had a pretty obvious size difference when it comes to his testicles. One of them was small/normal, pretty much the same size as his brother's. But the other was around double the size. It was hard to get a good look as he is the skittish one and he's not used to being handled AT ALL, so it's almost impossible to hold him in a safe angle to check. It hasn't seemed to get any larger over the past couple weeks, but it does look like he's been licking it or the area since it has signs of wet fur around it, but it doesn't look wet constantly. It's drier some days, like he hasn't been bothering it. Is this something I should be worried about? They're going to the vet for a check-up next week. Should I have him go sooner, or should I just keep an eye on it?

If he's been licking it, that's often a sign of pain. There is a thing called testicular torsion, where the spermatic cord gets twisted. I'm not a vet, just throwing out a possible to let you know things can go wrong in testicles. It may be completely normal, but the fact that he's been messing with it would be a sign to me that something may be wrong. If you're going to the vet anyway, I would just move the appointment up to be safe.

I think the current appointment is the earliest I can do, but I'll see. Is it an emergency that needs to be seen immediately? He's been acting like his usual self but I'm not sure if that has a factor in anything. Edit: Just found out that the checkup is this upcoming Wednesday.

Last edited:
Have you actually seen him licking at it, or you just think he has been since it’s sometimes wet? He could be lingering a little too long in a urine spot making it wet from urine.

I've never seen him licking it, now that I think about it.

If you haven't actually seen him licking it, then it's possible that it's just wet from his water or urine in the cage as Ann mentioned. No need to rush to the vet.

Back