Chin Spin needs deep cleaning; is it worth it?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
I bought this Chin Spin used from a member on here, but haven't had it in the cage in a while b/c of the amount of noise it causes. (It's the one with hooks on the back, so I had to basically shim it into place with white pine board to keep it on the thing anyway.) But, I'm also fostering a kitten, and she decided since she smelled some residual pee from the chins, that the wheel must be a s00per speshul 'hidden' litter box just for her. I wondered where the smell was coming from for 2 days, and pulled it out from behind the pellet storage bin to find a very unpleasant surprise.

:hair:

So, what I'm wondering is if a Chin Spin w/ the wooden back can be sanded down in such a way that it won't smell like cat pee or show stains, or if I'm better off just junking the thing and getting another Flying Saucer. Cheap is good, but the cage is in our bedroom, so Quiet is Better.

Thanks in advance. (Btw, anybody near Buffalo, NY want a kitten? She really does use the litter box; she just doesn't like to share one with other cats. :banghead: )

Wood and cat urine is a tough thing to solve. I had an issue with a cat we had many years ago peeing on the woodwork and floor when he got mad. He also had a nasty habit of peeing into the floor vent.

After literally hundreds of tries with different suggested solutions I was beyond frustrated. Even Kilns stain and odor blocker didn't work. I gave up and have since replaced the air ducts, woodwork and the sub-floor in the room.

Cat urine can be very difficult to get rid of.

There are some new pet odor products out there but I have no experience with them.

Here's my suggestion, if decide to clean the wood and it doesn't work the first try then replace the wheel. In the long run it may cost less than buying different items because the previous one didn't work.

Back