Chin sizes/weights?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a digital postage scale to weigh her b/c that is what I had. If she won't sit still on it long enough, I can just put her in a box on top of it. It has a hold button and will beep when it has the weight so that you can take her off and read it. It does grams and ounces, up to 5 pounds. If I recall, it was about $15 at the store.

That sounds very convenient. Do you recall what store you got it at?

any chin can be small take for example my smallest chin a tov Ebony male , his parents were two of my largest chins even and size was in both their lines yet he is barely half the mothers size at 602 Grams but he looks much bigger and his dad was a monster ao was his grandparents on both sides but he weighs very little in comparison to his ancestors. Yet I had an itty bitty sapphire pair throw me an 800+ gram solid sapphire . I only have one line that consistantly produces big chins but if you went back to the original pair ( Jax and Chloe) they were both teeny wedgy and small after many generations and years of breeding their descendents are consistantly over 900 grams as adults. I used to always think size size size in grams now I think build and do I like what I am looking at. If I have a doubt I weigh them but generally I rely on a visual rather than a scale. I use my scale to check babies, moms and any who seem to have lost weight or who are a bit rundown ( like the rescue chins).

I have two sapphire carriers here, one Black velvet who is 690g now and one Standard who is 805g.
So for sapphire related, they are pretty big, especially my Standard boy he's lovely and chubby.

A good average for chinchillas in my opinion would be 600 to 800 grams and I would say the average size does depend in part on the mutation involved. To get a really clear animal, a lot of times the size does suffer in the breeding. Mutations that have been bred less (like sapphires) tend to be harder to get clear and large whereas standards and blacks aren't nearly as hard.

I don't have a scale yet, but when I took Shadow, my black velvet to the vet he was 770g. Moche is a little chunkier and he's a standard. My babies are growing...but my ebony little boy just seems to grow faster even though he's younger. He can hold his own against the big boys now ;). But my violet is still small and doesn't seem to be growing as fast or as much. Could the activity level of the chin have something to do with it? My violet NEVER seems to be still unless he's asleep (rare) but the other guys are fairly lazy during the the day. Are they like us with various metabolic levels?

Back