Chin putting head in others chins ear?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumbleBea

Hi all,

Our chins are perfectly healthy and active happy boys but I noticed a strange behaviour earlier and was wondering if it's just a chin thing or something I should watch out for? One of my boys put his nose into the other chins ear and it looked as though he was rooting around in there.

Does this sound like something to watch? It's the first time he's done it and I haven't seen him do it since. They have been displaying any other odd behaviours e.g. scratching/ head shaking.

He is the dominant chin in the cage, so maybe he was just trying to nose around to get a good sleeping position? He usually sleeps on top of the other chin. They are both under a year old and have very fluffy ears.

Any help really gratefully received- thank you!

This sounds like part of normal grooming behaviour. Chins are social animals, and grooming each other is an integral part of social interaction.

My chin grooms my ears and eyes like that, and YES he really gets in there and boy does it tickle!! I usually get a good grooming after giving him a serious chin/ear scratching.

Back