Chin poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingos

I noticed during the day my chin’s poop was different shapes and was a little mushy, but a couple of hours later it looked normal again. My chin has been eating and running around, she looks overall healthy. Her stomach isn’t tight, but she did do some stretches, maybe she felt discomfort? I recently took her to the vet around 3 weeks ago because she was actually sick, then I got her back on Monday fully healthy. Should I be worried again?

If it went back to normal she might be ok now. Did you give her anything new to eat or could she have eaten something she shouldn't have? Also what are you feeding just hay and a pellet only food? or treats too and if so what kind of treats?

If it went back to normal she might be ok now. Did you give her anything new to eat or could she have eaten something she shouldn't have? Also what are you feeding just hay and a pellet only food? or treats too and if so what kind of treats?
I recently switched over to Oxbow because I heard it’s good. I know you’re supposed to slowly introduce your chin to new pellets, so I just fed her very limited amount. I’ve just been feeding her hay and water to see how she continues to feel. Another thing to point out is that I got her a new cage and it’s on the opposite of where she used to have her old one. I feel like she’s just stressed, but I could be wrong

Yeah, both sudden change in food, as well as stress of a new cage and new location can upset the stomach. If you switch foods and don't have enough to do a slow switch your best bet is to remove pellets completely for 3 days and feed only hay, then go straight to the new food. If after a few days of hay only the poops still look mushy then it's time to get checked out by the vet.

Yeah, both sudden change in food, as well as stress of a new cage and new location can upset the stomach. If you switch foods and don't have enough to do a slow switch your best bet is to remove pellets completely for 3 days and feed only hay, then go straight to the new food. If after a few days of hay only the poops still look mushy then it's time to get checked out by the vet.
Can you give me a good description on how the poop is supposed to look like and maybe even a picture? My chin’s poop doesn’t look that mushy, but it does vary in shapes.

If it's just the sudden change in food or a bit of stress from moving to a new cage it should clear up at home without any problem. If you haven't given him anything else and he hasn't gotten to something that is very likely what caused it.

If it's just the sudden change in food or a bit of stress from moving to a new cage it should clear up at home without any problem. If you haven't given him anything else and he hasn't gotten to something that is very likely what caused it.
Does this look like normal poop to you and is it usually super dry when it comes out? Thank you for all your help and sorry for asking a lot of questions 😁

Attachments

• A9D8E264-161F-4CEA-8218-75157290145B.jpeg
    A9D8E264-161F-4CEA-8218-75157290145B.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 9
Does this look like normal poop to you and is it usually super dry when it comes out? Thank you for all your help and sorry for asking a lot of questions 😁
Looks pretty normal, it's a bit green but that is likely because you are just feeding hay, and some do look a bit small but not all of them so I wouldn't worry too much. Also it should be dry to the touch when it comes out, not crumbly dry by dry enough that it doesn't stick to anything. Definitely should be much drier and smaller then something like a guinea pig or rat poop. It also shouldn't have any smell to it either.

Back