Chin playtime?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellie

Hey! I was wondering how much time a chinchilla should have out of their cage? I only have one chinchilla (around 1 and a half y/o) and she gets around 5 hours of supervised playtime daily (8pm to 1 am). I normally chill and do work such for the first 2.5 hrs, then play with her individually for the remaining time. She never seems to get tired, though, so I was wondering if I should lengthen her playtime?

also, random question, what do you guys do in terms of your own housing? My college is only a couple minutes from my parents' house, so I haven't had to move out yet. When I do, tho, what types of housing should I look for? chins are fairly difficult (in terms of chewing) when it comes to walls and furniture, so I'm not sure what to do...

anyway, thank youuuu ^^

How much time really depends on the chin. Some are go go go when out and limited playtime is best, no more then half a hour. Others kind of chill out, play, nap, snack, etc and they can be out as long as you want and can 100% supervise them (as in never leaving the room while she is out or doing anything that takes your eyes off the chin) in a chin proofed area ( there should be nothing accessible that is unsafe to chew on or eat). I normally don't do more then a half hour to an hour to an hour and not everyday. My guys are normally done by then (if they are in the room with their cage they normally go back in by then) and I have other animals and things to do, like most people I don't have hours to spend just sitting in the room watching them. If you want to and are able to do longer playtime I guess I don't see the problem, so long as she has access to food and water and the ability to go back to her cage if she wants/needs to.

Once you get your own place I would set up a chin proofed area that she can play, I would assume like you have now. How do you chin proof the area she plays in now to prevent chewing on things she shouldn't? I know a lot of people fence in an area or use a playpen. I use a fence around the cage sometimes, as well as I have a spare room that I let them play in, I replaced the baseboards with kiln dried pine so they wouldn't get sick if they chewed on them (of course now that they can chew on them they don't, lol).

ahhh I see. Yeah, I have a lot of time because of online school and whatnot, plus I'm a night owl. She is always supervised and the room is as chinchilla proofed as possible. No wires, no plastic, nothing other than chews on the ground, and no-pill fleece covering areas/crevices she shouldn't get to. As well, she has access to her cage and all her water/food/hay.

And for housing in the future, I guess it more depends on which one I'm looking at and their pet regulations.

Thank you!

Back