Chin not pooping as much

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomiczoo

Hello everybody,
I've had my little girl for about a month and a half now and I'm still not quite sure what behavior is normal and when a vet trip is needed...
My concern is that my chin hasn't been pooping as much today as she normally does. She is still drinking and eating just fine and is still just as active. But for the past week or so some of her poops have been coming out long, kind of thin and a little curved (I read somewhere that means constipation...?). Then last night they seemed to be pretty normal shaped but a little softer and some of them were coming out small and it seemed like there weren't quite as many. I read that a little burnt toast helps with tummy issues so I gave her a tiny bit. But this morning when I checked there were only a couple poops in her cage. But I noticed since I've been watching her since then she keeps eating her poops. Is this normal behavior for getting over tummy issues? Should I feed her anything in particular to help her along?

Chinchillas have cecotropes, which are often mistaken as poops, but they aren't. They eat them for their nutrition, just like rabbits.

Are the regular poops able to be smashed, or are they mostly hard? My chins' poops vary from chin to chin, and if any of them looks different than usual, I give them 1/4 of an acidophilus tab (I get mine from TJs). If it were me, I would examine the poops with my fingers and under light to make sure all is fine, then I would watch for a few days. If the poops became really soft, I would try the acidophilus for a couple of days and if that didn't work, I'd remove the pellets and just give hay (though I'm not sure that's standard, but it's what I do with my rabbits). If nothing changed quickly (like overnight), I'd get to the vet.

Her regular poops are usually able to be smashed. I'll go buy some of those tabs later today and see if that helps her at all.
I took her to the vet a few weeks ago for another poop related issue and she was perfectly healthy so I'm wondering if this is probably similar to before...?
Thank you for the recommendation.

Back