Chin making loud sound

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamaisVu

Hi everyone,

My boy Kumo is a VERY chatty ~10 yo chinchilla. Over the years I've gotten pretty familiar with most of the noises he makes and what they mean (you know...happy grunts during playtime, angry kacks when he sees the carrier because he hates the vet, warning calls to warn all the animals at the vet that the vet is awful...). He's a very communicative little guy.

However, he's been making a new noise that makes me jump to check on him every time he makes it. It's a loud, high-pitch squeal/squeak that usually lasts only 2 or 3 seconds. I just can't pinpoint what it means and it makes me nervous because it almost sounds like a hurt puppy...or a squeaky toy squeaked to the max.

The first time he made this noise I sprung up from my chair and went to check on him...only to find him half asleep inside his hidey tunnel. The second time he made the sound right before running laps around his play pen. This morning he made the noise around dawn...I ran out of bed in alert to check on him and he just proceeded to ask for head scritches, a treat, and went on to get some water. I have no actual reason to worry except it's a very unnerving noise he's never made before and I don't want to miss the signs if he's hurt or scared somehow.

He does have a cagemate but I don't think Susu is at all responsible for the noise because she's a super chill chin that can't be bothered to fight most of the time and because 2/3 times I've heard him do the noise she was sleeping in a completely different part of the cage.

I've tried to find videos of similar noises but can't find it anywhere. The most similar I've found is the "wake up" sound found in this website: https://infolific.com/pets/chinchillas/chinchilla-sounds/ except Kumo usually ends up in a very high squeak. Since it's a random noise made at unexpected times I haven't been able to record it.

Does anybody else's chin make a noise anything this?

Thanks!

P.S. I did send his vet a note earlier today, but I'm posting this in my quest for answers/reassurance

He's barking. Something is startling him and he's alarmed and warning "the herd." It's normal. I call it the chinny scream of death. :)

He's barking. Something is startling him and he's alarmed and warning "the herd." It's normal. I call it the chinny scream of death. :)

Well...that's a fun addition to his barking repertoire. Chinny scream of death sounds about right 😅 It's definitely scaring me half to death.

Thanks for the reply!

My chin recently started making a noise at night that sounds just like that. Scares me to death! I came here to ask if anyone else has ever heard this long scream from a chin. Maury never seems hurt when I check on him but holly hell! What a scary noise! Like when you force air out of a balloon while pinching/stretching its opening.

My chin recently started making a noise at night that sounds just like that. Scares me to death! I came here to ask if anyone else has ever heard this long scream from a chin. Maury never seems hurt when I check on him but holly hell! What a scary noise! Like when you force air out of a balloon while pinching/stretching its opening.
Kumo stopped making the noise just as suddenly as he started making it.

So I am still clueless about what it meant but he seems healthy and happy, and I'm certainly happy to not be scared half to death at 4 a.m. anymore

Back