Chin Jumped in the Toilet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llough

I was taking my chinchilla out for play time in the bathroom, like I usually do when I'm getting ready in the morning, but this time before I could set her down properly and close the toilet lid, she jumped right out of my hands and into the toilet bowl! (Lesson learned, always close the toilet seat BEFORE you enter the bathroom with a chinchilla). I scooped her out right away and dried her off with a towel, and then with a warm blow drier (she did not appreciate this). I also gave her a long dust bath, and now her fur looks normal except for one or two spots on her tummy that I couldn't get to. I feel so terrible, this is all my fault. :no:

Toilet water is disgusting, and I'm worried she could have aspirated some or retained some bacteria on her fur since I didn't rinse it. Should I take her to the vets to get some antibiotics to prevent infection, or just to get checked over? She seems to be acting normal now, just really irritated by the whole thing (who wouldn't be?). Thank you for you advice!

This happened to me when i first got my first chin! Now everyone in my house just automatically closes the lid.(not good for late night pit stops! lol)
i think you already did what you can. i doubt he ingested much water. just keep an eye out the next couple days and make sure he is drinking and eating and pooping like normal.

Toilet water is just normal water if you keep your toilet clean. I wouldn't take her to the vet, that'll add more stress and expose her to whatever bad bacteria is floating around the office.

I've had many roommates leave seats up and many soaked chins. I towel dry, give them a dust bath and they're off to romp again.

I clean my toilet weekly, but chins also eat their poo. This isn't to say human fecal bacteria is the same as a chin's, but fecal bacteria is all over your house, Mythbusters proved that. :))

I wouldn't worry about it.

Haha, ok now I am afraid to eat off of my dining room table :) But it's good to know there is no need to worry. Isabella is snuggled in her fleece hammock now, so I think she feels much better. Thanks for the quick response!

I had this happen once with my gizmo. I called the vet and asked if I should be worried about bacteria. She said he would be fine, just as long as you dont use chemicals (like the stuff that turns water blue) or bleach he should be just fine. I think gizmo just wanted to be fluffed up by the hairdryer, he likes it!

Don't feel too bad about it. It happened to me also with my very first chinchilla back in the 80's. I felt terrible also but it never happened again. The toilet is the first thing I check now. You can chin proof a room, but that darn toilet seat continues to changes position!

Back