Chin jealousy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filia

I have two chins, Merry & Pippin. Pippin is my little buddy, we bonded really fast; but when I try bonding with Merry, Pippin will always get jealous and chase him off. Because of this, Merry is still nervous around people and always hides when I walk in the room...Any ideas how I can bond with Merry without Pippin getting jealous? Whenever I separate them, Merry gets really sad/scared and hides until Pippin comes back to him.

Maybe you should take Merry out and play with him separately? Try going into a bathroom and allowing him to explore and run on you. Have a treat such as some oats or shredded wheat to entice him to come near you? I would do this frequently so he can become comfortable around you. If it doesn't help, you may have to think about separation.

Is it okay to just reach in there and grab Merry even when he's afraid and anti-social? Also, he's only 3 months old, and i read i shouldn't give him treats until he's at least 5 months; is that true?

Is it okay to just reach in there and grab Merry even when he's afraid and anti-social? Also, he's only 3 months old, and i read i shouldn't give him treats until he's at least 5 months; is that true?

You're correct, he's too young for treats. I wouldn't chase him around the cage to grab him. I'd suggest allowing him to come to the cage door opening but it sounds like the other chin prevents him from doing that. Maybe you can let both out to play and run around in a chin proof room. You can lure them to the cage door with a dust bath maybe?

Yes, I've concidered taking them both out..However, since Pippin is the dominant one, he pushes his way out first, then Merry freaks out when his buddy is gone and wont come back out from hiding. I guess I'll figure a way out eventually. Thanks, though!

Make his only hidding spot something you can remove from the cage. Like a small wood house. That way every time you need to get him out he's ready for a lift out of the cage. :D

First of all, congrats on your new chins!
Can you take Pippin out and put him in a playpen or somewhere safe, and then spend some time talking to Merry while he's still in the cage? Even if he's hiding, if you stand there and talk to him softly and offer him toys or sticks, he'll get used to your voice and presence. It gives you some one on one time with him.
He's really young, I'd guess that's adding to his nervousness.
I have a bonded pair of girls who are the same way, but they're 8 years old. The shyer one gets pushed out of the way all the time, but she's also a more withdrawn personality and likes having her more dominant cagemate to reassure her. I've been told it's pretty normal to have one chin be more bossy, as long as there isn't aggression they will figure out how to get along.
Make sure Pippin is getting enough food/water - I have two water bottles, food bowls, etc.
Good luck!

At first thought, being able to remove him in the hidey house sounds like a good idea. But, consider this...if this is his only "safe place" how freaked out might he get if even IT was not safe??? I don't think I would do that.

Talking softly to him or even reading aloud near his cage is a very effective way to let him get used to you, as is sitting with your hand open in the cage face up and letting him sniff/touch you without fear of being grabbed. It can take a REALLY long time to bond with some chins, but it is SOO worth the effort!!! Be patient and see what happens.

Also agree that 2 food bowls and 2 water bottles pretty much eliminates the chance for food bullying.

I love your chinchillas' names! I named my boy Pippin too, after the Lord of the Rings character. I decided a while ago that if I were to get another one, I'd name him Merry.

Recently I set up a cardboard barrier in the corner of my room where their cage is, so they can run around and play without me having to carry them to the bathroom(most chinchie proof room in my house)...They've both become very happy with the whole "explore the play area. Return to cage when done." routine. Often times Pippin is still sleepy when Merry is wide awake...So while Pippin stays in the corner of my room, Merry has all the time in the world to "investigate" me. It's worked out pretty good! :)

He's still a little skiddish, and wont let me touch him; but I think that may just be his personality.

That's awesome, Lillychin! I named them after the Lord of the Rings characters, too! However everyone complains that the name 'Merry' sounds like a girl's name...I have to remind them that 'Merry' is short for 'Meriadoc'...

Back