Chin front teeth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCchin

When our chin had his teeth filed, the front tooth looked cracked, kind of like it was split and a piece was growing backwards. I think the vet said it wasn't split, it just curled back. He said he trimmed it some.

Does that sound right? It may be why he isn't eating well, my daughter saw it there today, and it hits the skin between his front and back teeth.

Anyone know what that is from my lovely description? Does it need to be cut off? I did find a local vet who knows chins (just doesn't have the tools to do large filings), if it needs trimming, can he do it? My husband says he has heard of people who do it themselves, but I don't think we're up to that!

Here goes with my fantastic picture posting skills..... last time the picture was sideways, let's see how it is this time....

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpg
    IMG_5091.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5094.jpg
    IMG_5094.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 60
To me it looks like it needs to be filed. Do not trim the teeth yourself. Take him to a vet that can do it.

It looks like it is curled back, but that then the chewing has worn down the lower surface of it (where the bottom teeth hit the top because they can't slip behind them like they are supposed to). They would need to be filed professionally to get rid of the curved part and let the teeth sit properly.

The local vet said he would take a look, but I'm not sure he files. He is the one who told us to travel to a larger city for the filing. He did mention that you could gas chins for a quick trim, not sure if he used to do that, or if he does now. Is that a good option, or is it preferred to use anesthesia? And would that be ok since it was just 3-1/2 weeks since the last trim? AND, did the vet do a bad job with that thingy still there? Grrrrrr.

A quick whiff of Isolflurane or Sevoflurane & burring with a proper burring tool should be enough to sort those incisors. They need levelling off together to the same level so that the chin can eat properly.
Did the chin have xrays taken when the first dental was done or have I missed that in another thread?

Just a few questions that might help us or anyone in the future with similar problems.

1. How long have you had this animal?
2. Has this happened before?
3. Are you providing a variety of hays from soft to first cuts to keep these front teeth working properly against each other?

I have a female here who had to have her back teeth filed. They put her under with gas. She did require a few days of being hand fed. It's been well over a year and she has not required further teeth work. She had been adopted out for several months and was given back to me. Seems they were not providing enough forage to keep her teeth ground down.
Keep us informed.

Added: I went back and looked at your previous posts. Looks like he has found hay he likes. It makes all the difference in the world keeping those teeth ground down.

Last edited:
Even a spaz of a chin can have those filed without putting them under, only takes a couple of seconds for the vet to bur those down.

Even a spaz of a chin can have those filed without putting them under, only takes a couple of seconds for the vet to bur those down.
Sorry, but I would never let my chins have any incisor burring without at least a whiff of anaesthetic as a sedative.

So the consensus is that it does need to be clipped. Why on earth did the other vet leave that???? Would you go to a local vet with limited tools (but experience) or drive to Crysta's vet in JAX? I will call the local vet first to see if he is comfortable with it. Doesn't a shot hurt about as much as the filing? (I really don't know). The vet at filing did give him valium before anesthesia to mellow him out.

Dawn, I haven't looked at your thread, but do hope your chins are doing better! Thanks for always responding to my threads!!

My vet uses a tool to open the mouth-looks like a speculum and a cordless tiny pen shaped tool to bur the teeth, the chin is restrained by the owner while he does it-takes literally 4 or 5 seconds. This is only for chins who don't have malo and usually when the chin chipped it or they are a tad long. Malo chins need to be put under since the front teeth are not usually the only issue.

Ask the vet if he has done incisor trimmings and what he uses, but regardless of how its done awake or asleep, it really does need to be done.

Clipping the teeth as oposed to buring them with a drill, you want the drill since there is less chance of shattering or cracking the teeth.

Yes, we did have xrays. The roots looked good, but the jaw is atrophied from never having hay.... (I didn't know, but definitely do now). He said the incisors have an incorrect curve, I don't think he thought he could trim them shorter, I think I remember him saying he trimmed a little but couldn't do anymore???? (It was a rough day, and I was in shock over the bill...).

Vet appointment tomorrow morning, local vet, he has the drill, AND they gave me prices before I even come.

Fingers crossed that if I don't let the teeth go too badly, that we can stay local.

One more quick point to add to Dawn's - burring with a fast electric burring device as opposed to a hand rasp or clippers also reduces the risk of rocking the incisors in the sockets which is painful & can cause problems with the growth plates - the incisors can grow wonky (for want of a better word).

Good luck for tomorrow.

If the curvature of the incisors is off then he may need to have them trimmed fairly regularly - it usually means they do not meet properly which causes problems with overgrowth into the soft tissue of the mouth - you're going to have to keep a close eye on the incisors I am afraid.

Last edited:
Update: The vet ground down the incisors, they look way better. The visit was complete with my daughter passing out when the vet grazed our chins lip with the tool.... the vet says it happens all the time, the passing out that is.

He said to put a little vitamin E on the part that it boogered up a bit. Is that ok? The chin is fine and is none worse for the wear. He even tried to chew a straw paper when we went through Starbucks.

Ticklechin: Our vet is interested in the tool your vet uses, and if you need the deal (forgot name) to open the mouth and the cheek spreader? If they are not that expensive, he will get them, hooray! We really like this vet and hope he can take care of our chin's teeth. The booboo is because his tool was a little large, the smaller one would be better.

Back