Chin Foot Care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inca-bink

Hi everyone,

I'm noticing that there is a significant amount of callus on my chins' hind feet (spreading horizontally from the main foot pad, like a little lip). One looked quite dry and cracked, so I've been putting some neutrogena chapped hand lotion on all their feet, just to see if that would help.

They have wood shelving (pretty smooth, although the edges are pretty rough from their chewing) and fleece bedding/accessories. Their wheel is smooth metal (chinspin).

It does not seem to be getting better or worse, as far as I can tell. I don't want this to turn into bumblefoot or anything else that is difficult to clear up. My question is, what regular foot care would you suggest to resolve this/prevent this kind of problem? I have read elsewhere to use a nail file on the callus to keep it from getting too big, but I am a little nervous about doing this since it seems like there would be a good chance of injuring the foot itself.

Also, I know that bird bumblefoot actually develops due to a lack of appropriately irregular or coarse surfaces (counter-intuitive, right? But it has to do with putting pressure on different parts of the foot - smooth surfaces put pressure on exactly the same part of the foot all the time, no matter where the bird stands). Is this a similar process in chinchillas? If so, what types of surfaces should I introduce into their cage? We use astroturf/rope a lot with birds, but I would not want to give my girls plastic or long strands.

Thanks for your input!

I don't think the Neutrogena is a super good choice for their feet. Instead, I would use either Bag Balm (which you can find at Wal-Mart, or most pharmacies) or a vitamin E (poke a hole in a capsule and rub it in). Both of these are also safe for ingestion, whereas the Neutrogena probably isn't.

Sounds like you've got the right stuff shelf and hammock wise. I was once told that cracked feet can be a result of keeping stuff too dry. Hopefully the Bag Balm or vitamin E will help with that.

You could add some tile/stone flooring to the cage and give him a variety of surfaces. The problem with wood and fleece is that it does absorb moisture and can leave things dry.

Thanks guys.

So do you check feet weekly/monthly/daily? Do you apply bag balm or E as preventatives (if so, how often), or do you just not worry about the feet until something shows up? Do I need to worry about the wide calluses at all, or are they pretty normal in chins of a certain age?

I've never had an issue with chin's feet, my cages are metal with wood ledges. I've just noticed a huge increase in foot problems as people have gone to using only fleece and wood.

I have also never had an issue of bumblefoot or cracking, bleeding feet. I have 40+ chins here, all on shavings with metal pans and those in pair cages also have wood shelves and perches. I've never needed to apply anything to any of my chins' feet.

I am just curious as to what method is best for applying bag balm to feet. It seems like you'd need someone to hold the chin by the base of its tail and then I rub the stuff on his feet? I was thinking that may be less traumatic than a partial burrito.

I flip her on her back and hold her against my legs with one hand.. then I try to lay my fingers over the top of her toes if I can to hold her feet still. I use the other hand to apply the bag balm.

013-1.jpg

Here is a video, she's squirmier than usual but you get the idea.

There you go, thats how I apply it by myself! I have reeeeally small hands, but if you're hands are normal sized I'm sure it'll be a bit easier to hold them still

Back