Chin fell from CN cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, I sometimes leave some of the cage doors open of my Critter Nation on the opposite level while I'm cleaning the other floor. This time I was cleaning the first floor and left a door on the second level open. I heard one of my chins get on the wheel, and then all of a sudden he was on the floor. The wheel is on the second floor. It happened so fast I couldn't get a decent idea of what happened, but I assume he skidded off the wheel like he usually does when he sprints on it and fell to the floor. I don't think he hit his head on anything, and he seemed to kind of flail mid-air and land on his side/underbelly area. I'm not sure which chin did it, but I have a temporary tell-tale sign. One of them has a little dust residue since to get him back into the cage I had to persuade him into his dust bath. He seems to be walking/hopping onto things normally, no obvious signs of limping, he eats normally, he uses the bathroom normally as far as I can tell as well. I think the one who fell is Buttons, which makes things difficult because he's naturally shy so it may be hard to tell if he's injured. I held him and gave a quick check of his body/feet while I could, nothing seemed abnormal. They both have a vet exam on the 8th of November. What are the signs of injury I should be looking for?

P.S: I learned my lesson and will NEVER leave the cage doors open on a level I'm not cleaning/watching from now on.

Just keep an eye on him. It sounds like he's doing okay if he's walking normally and eating normally. Chins can jump 6 feet straight up in the air and come down without harm, so he's probably fine. When they get injured, I've found, is when the jump is unexpected. As in, they are startled and leap off of something sideways or fall off backward. When they choose to jump, that seems to be fine.

Back