Chin Feed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKat

I still use Mazuri but now that my supply is almost gone, I've been thinking about switching over to something cheaper and overall, more healthy. I've heard things about Mazuri about the corn content. Is it really unhealthy? What other feeds would you recommend?

From what I've heard it isn't unhealthy but it does give some chins soft poo. I feed PANR (Purina Advanced Nutrition Show Formula) which is half the price of Mazuri and my chins eat more of it and the soft poo went away.

I also feed PANR and traditional because it is less expensive than Mazuri and I can get it locally.

Mazuri will work for some chins and won't for some others. If your chins are healthy and got normal poop with it, don't even worry about it. The corn is so at the bottom of the ingredient list that it doesn't even matter. I used Mazuri for a long while and many people I know still use that. It is a great feed. It just doesn't work well with some chins. But it did work well with mine. I switched only because of convenience.

Scoot and Hemi were on Mazuri and ended up having soft poos so I switched to a feed from Western canada.

I've heard good things about Oxbow though.

Where does everyone purchase their PANR Feed? Can you purchase it in 25 or 50 lb. bags?

Many feed stores carry PANR, if they're a Purina dealer and don't have it then they should be able to get it in for you pretty easily. I've not seen it in 25 pound bags, only 50 around here.

Is PANR a rabbit food?

Why is it, if it is, ok for chins but other rabbit food isn't? I would like to find a more easily accessible but healthy food for the chinchillas.

I feed Nutrena rabbit pellets, I love that it gets delivered right to the house when we order stuff for the horses.

I feed Oxbow. It is a little more expensive then the other foods but It's worth the extra couple of buck plus Gizmo likes it.

Back