Chin Family

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderatr
This is from about 13 years ago, but I thought I'd still share. I'm not sure if this story should go here or in the baby section.
The mother is the beige (possibly light tan, I honestly don't remember if her belly was white or tan and at the time didn't know there was such a thing as tan) named Bubba but was later changed to Bubbles, the father is the black velvet, named Chimpy. The larger baby was named Hopper (changed to Hunka Munka in his new home) and the little one was named Little Bear.
I got them as a pair and was told they were both males. The previous owner bought them for their 5 year old daughter who lost interest in them. They weren't the cuddly critters she wanted or thought they looked like. They lived together for the first few years of their lives in a 5 foot tall custom build wire mesh cage that they came with. I woke up early one morning to odd sounds coming from the cage, I didn't think too much of it but decided to check on them with a flashlight just in case one was hurt. I saw what I thought was tufts of fur scurry across the bottom of the cage. Keep in mind I thought they were both males, lol. I had a small kit safe cage that was set aside for the male/female pair I thought would be the ones having kits (in hindsight I'm glad that pair never did, dental issues with both, but that's a whole other story).
The whole family later was given to a vet tech who my mom told me wanted them. I didn't want to give them up but I had 4 other chinchillas at the time that I was the sole caretaker of (I lived with just my dad at that point who had nothing to do with any of the animals) and I was also only 16 and in high school. Bubba, now named Bubbles was given a cage all to herself and their two sons ended up living with Chimpy. The parents would be close to 20 and the babies around 13, I still hope they are still alive and well though. The vet tech lived a couple hours north of me at the vet my mom used, so I never did see them again, and only heard about them from my mom until the vet tech moved away.

Attachments

• Bubba.jpg
    Bubba.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Chimpy.jpg
    Chimpy.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 34
  • HopperAndLittleBear1.jpg
    HopperAndLittleBear1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 34
  • HopperAndLittleBear2.jpg
    HopperAndLittleBear2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 36
  • HopperAndLittleBear.jpg
    HopperAndLittleBear.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 30
This is from about 13 years ago, but I thought I'd still share. I'm not sure if this story should go here or in the baby section.
The mother is the beige (possibly light tan, I honestly don't remember if her belly was white or tan and at the time didn't know there was such a thing as tan) named Bubba but was later changed to Bubbles, the father is the black velvet, named Chimpy. The larger baby was named Hopper (changed to Hunka Munka in his new home) and the little one was named Little Bear.
I got them as a pair and was told they were both males. The previous owner bought them for their 5 year old daughter who lost interest in them. They weren't the cuddly critters she wanted or thought they looked like. They lived together for the first few years of their lives in a 5 foot tall custom build wire mesh cage that they came with. I woke up early one morning to odd sounds coming from the cage, I didn't think too much of it but decided to check on them with a flashlight just in case one was hurt. I saw what I thought was tufts of fur scurry across the bottom of the cage. Keep in mind I thought they were both males, lol. I had a small kit safe cage that was set aside for the male/female pair I thought would be the ones having kits (in hindsight I'm glad that pair never did, dental issues with both, but that's a whole other story).
The whole family later was given to a vet tech who my mom told me wanted them. I didn't want to give them up but I had 4 other chinchillas at the time that I was the sole caretaker of (I lived with just my dad at that point who had nothing to do with any of the animals) and I was also only 16 and in high school. Bubba, now named Bubbles was given a cage all to herself and their two sons ended up living with Chimpy. The parents would be close to 20 and the babies around 13, I still hope they are still alive and well though. The vet tech lived a couple hours north of me at the vet my mom used, so I never did see them again, and only heard about them from my mom until the vet tech moved away.
nice little story and I am glad you shared it.. I think there is lot to learn from it.. So thanks again:hug2::hug2:

Back