Chin eating habits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellie

Hi! So, my chinchilla, Boots, has been eating a lot faster than normal. I give her around 1.5 tablespoons of her pellets at 8:00 pm every night (the time she plays out of her cage), and by 1 pm the next day, they're all gone! I don't fill the bowl when it's empty, though, to prevent her from overeating. she normally leaves some pellets in her bowl, but now it's completely empty. She has a fresh and constant supply of hay and water, as well as a lot of play time (3.5-5.5 hrs), so I'm not sure why she's doing this. Could she be stressed?
Thanks in advance :)

Maybe give some more pellets, unless she is fat. Most chins eat about 2tb worth of pellets a day, some a bit less some a bit more. Also some days my guys will eat a bit more if they are more active, or a bit less if they aren't as active. If the bowls are empty before the evening I refill with a few more scoops, I only measure pellets to make sure they are eating. I also know my guys will sometime eat more if it's a fresh bag of pellets, must taste better so they eat more.

Maybe give some more pellets, unless she is fat. Most chins eat about 2tb worth of pellets a day, some a bit less some a bit more. Also some days my guys will eat a bit more if they are more active, or a bit less if they aren't as active. If the bowls are empty before the evening I refill with a few more scoops, I only measure pellets to make sure they are eating. I also know my guys will sometime eat more if it's a fresh bag of pellets, must taste better so they eat more.
Thank you for the advice! I never thought about it, but that might be it. I recently came hope from a week long trip, which she wasn't allowed any play time for safety reasons (she had a caretaker but I wanted to be careful, as it was my first time away). When I got back (last Sunday), I began letting her out for many hours again. Maybe this caused her to be hungrier due to being more active? I've started giving her around two tablespoons since reading your response, so I hope she begins to eat normally once she is use to the new/previous routine. She is at a very good weight at the moment, so feeding her a bit more shouldn't be an issue. Well, thank you again for the help!

Back