Chin eating, drinking, pooping, but lethargic

Fergggie

Hey all. My 9 year old chin has been acting depressed for almost 2 or 3 weeks. I recently took away his papaya treats and figured it was depression. He spends a lot of his time sleeping, but he used to come to the cage to say hi and now just stays in his bed. I have noticed cataracts on both his eyes now, instead of just the one. So maybe he is learning to adjust. I also recently switched to aspen bedding which I have removed and replaced with fleece. But I was worried he was allergic to the aspen because I did notice some eye crusties (they seem to have gone away since switching to fleece). I am worried about my lil guy. He seemed so happy before and since making a couple changes he seems so depressed. He eats a lot. Both hay and pellets. And drinks normally (although I've noticed him pawing at the water bottle when he drinks lately. I am in the process of finding an exotic vet familiar with chinchillas. Is my lil guy depressed? Sick? Just old? Please help. He is my lil pal :(

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
I would definitely ask the vet when you visit to check for diabetes and do an xray for teeth issues. Cataracts are a sign of sugar issues, as is mood swings and listlessness when you removed sugar from his diet. He may also have advancing teeth issues. A lifetime of poor diet doesn't hurt them immediately, it weakens the organs and bones so when things really start to go wrong they do so seemingly all at once when the truth is they've been building for a few years.

DawnStar

I'm a huge advocate for an xray for peace of mind. If you haven't had your baby for a good while, I would recommend a full body xray. I had NO idea there was a mass in the belly of one of the females we rescued.

Latest posts

Group builder