Chin Dumping food bowl help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megg09

My 4 month old Chin Karleigh has been being a little brat lately and has been dumping her food bowl everytime I put food in it. I haven't changed the food she was eating when I got her from the breeder, I bought 10lbs of pellets that the breeder fed. I bought a stainless steel parrot bowl holder, the ones that hang on the cage. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks :)

You could try switching to a larger ceramic bowl. She'll still throw pellets out, but she won't be able to dump it.

How does she get the cup out of the holder? I agree on a heavy ceramic bowl or put something heavy in the bottom of her bowl! :hmm:

She flips the entire thing, first the bowl comes out then the holder comes off. She even carries the bowl to the top of her cage. I've tried putting her food up top thinking maybe thats what she wanted. But a few mins later it was back on the bottom of her cage. I have a ceramic bowl that I use for her hay. I'll have to give it a try. If this doesnt work I think i'm going to have my bf try to put a couple small welds on her bowl to stick it to the holder.

I have a duo that within 2 minutes of me filling their food dish they have totally emptied the bowl. I had a ceramic crock they were dumping, so I then got a stainless that attaches to the side of the cage so now instead of tipping it over they dig and throw ALL the food out of the dish and then look at me with innocent eyes like 'hey mom, you didnt feed us today'. I'd love to know if you come up with something that works. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I don't think they will change and I make sure I give them extra hay because heaven forbid they eat the pellets once its out of the bowl.

I never put a lot in her food bowl for this reason & the bottom of my cage is wire so it all falls through the wire and she is unable to eat what she dumps. I did have fleece lining it but she would just end up throwing the fleece into one corner and cuddling with it & again leaving the food fall into the wire..lol She cracks me up though. She is little miss attitude but I love every bit of her :)

My guinea pig used to do that. Had a small dish for her, and she would always grab the edge with her mouth, put it up on its side and then eat her food from the floor of her cage. I would always right it, and she would dump it again. I finally gave up and bought one of the parrot bowls that attached to the cage.
That is what I use for Trixie now. She will push food out..but I notice she only did that if I filled it too full. I fill it with less food and she does not push out as much.

Well..
Mine has a super *****y thing... Where he picks a pellet up and eats half and drops the other half...

After his first visit to the vet .. I am sternly told to feed 1tbs of pellets and up the hay.
Since the I've had clean floors and bowl

Or u could not feed them till they eat everything off the floor
If you have wire bottom fill it with bedding so he/she can reach the dropped food

Back