Chin diarrhea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilmoreT13

I noticed tonight while my chin was out running around that she has diarrhea. Her butt area was stained with poo- I cleaned her up as best I could. I looked into her cage and saw only a couple spots where there was actual diarrhea. The only thing that has changed is me giving her a whole treat versus a quarter of a treat. I’ve been giving her a whole one for about a week. I read that might be a factor. She’s been drinking and eating normally. I gave her a lot more Timothy hay tonight. Do I just wait it out and if she doesn’t get better within a week or so take her to the vet? She’s never had diarrhea before. So I’m new to this situation. Anything helps!

I’ve been giving her a whole treat ball of these for a week or so now.

Attachments

• 6B9C676B-D504-4750-97EA-4B636A6C61F5.png
    6B9C676B-D504-4750-97EA-4B636A6C61F5.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 2
Do not give your chinchilla any more of these treats. They are composed of nuts, seeds and honey, all detrimental to chinchilla health. Please research what is healthy and what is not regarding treats. This is probably the cause of your chin's diarrhoea.

Try pulling all pellets for 3 days and just give hay. Usually, that will straighten out loose stools. I second not giving these treats again. Unfortunately, pet stores and manufacturing companies frequently only care about the money, not whether it's actually healthy for your pet.

Back