Chin coming home Saturday!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitharrington

About to be a chin mom on Saturday when I go to pickup Kit. Hoping to learn so much from everybody here, want to spoil this guy and give him everything he needs. 3yrs old and I will be third (FINAL!) owner. Original one was going to let him loose and 2nd didn’t plan for taking him along on a move.

Attachments

• 441C9A2A-3698-4365-8BDA-2E5700450375.jpeg
    441C9A2A-3698-4365-8BDA-2E5700450375.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum! This place is a wealth of information, I'm so grateful I found it soon after rescuing my chin.

Congrats on your new baby! Have you brought him home yet?

Yes he’s home and today is our 12th day together! He seems to be enjoying his cage, and when I bring him in the play pen with me he climbs all over me… including my head and face! I assume that’s a good sign! Have not picked him up yet, that will be the next challenge. He has limited tolerance for me touching him, but has allowed me a couple chin scratches.

It sounds like you two are well on your way to building a good relationship! Most chins never really enjoy being picked up and held, but most can be conditioned to tolerate it when necessary. It probably took me at least a month or two before both my chin and I got comfortable with me picking her up. She still doesn't love it, but she'll tolerate it and let me scoop her up without any drama.

For now, I'd just focus on building trust and getting to know each other. The more trust you can build now, the easier it's likely to be when you start trying to pick him up, because he'll know that you're not a scary predator trying to eat him.

Yes he’s home and today is our 12th day together! He seems to be enjoying his cage, and when I bring him in the play pen with me he climbs all over me… including my head and face! I assume that’s a good sign! Have not picked him up yet, that will be the next challenge. He has limited tolerance for me touching him, but has allowed me a couple chin scratches.
That quick? He must have found a nice home and a good mom.

@Chinmin so yay! That’s a good sign he crawls on me and runs across my head!?! I’m trying not to take it personal he doesn’t let me touch him much. I guess it has to be on his terms…..

Maybe that still is, though pretty one-sided?😊

@Chinmin so yay! That’s a good sign he crawls on me and runs across my head!?! I’m trying not to take it personal he doesn’t let me touch him much. I guess it has to be on his terms…..
It's definitely a good sign that he climbs all over you! And you definitely shouldn't take it personally that he's still not keen on getting pets. Be patient and give it time. I found that in the early days of bonding with my chin, she more readily accepted being touched around her head and neck area, but would usually jump away if I tried to touch her back, haunches, or tail. Now she lets me pet her whole body, but it took time. Though sometimes she still startles if I touch her back or haunches when I come up behind her. She always reacts better when I come at her from the front or side, probably because she can see me better that way.

It's definitely a good sign that he climbs all over you! And you definitely shouldn't take it personally that he's still not keen on getting pets. Be patient and give it time. I found that in the early days of bonding with my chin, she more readily accepted being touched around her head and neck area, but would usually jump away if I tried to touch her back, haunches, or tail. Now she lets me pet her whole body, but it took time. Though sometimes she still startles if I touch her back or haunches when I come up behind her. She always reacts better when I come at her from the front or side, probably because she can see me better that way.
Everything you said is exactly true! I’m glad he’s letting me touch his face and neck a bit. It was funny I had my arm in his cage to move some things around and he started using it like a ledge LOL, that was a first!

Everything you said is exactly true! I’m glad he’s letting me touch his face and neck a bit. It was funny I had my arm in his cage to move some things around and he started using it like a ledge LOL, that was a first!
How are you and your chin doing? Hope you are bonding great.

Back