Chin breed/color identification

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8Shade8

This is Billy. And my, he is way more Beige in a photo than in real life. I am trying to identify his color mutation. Depending on the light he is either a beige ish color, or a sapphire color. He has a very pretty blue hue to his beige coat at normal light. I do not think he is entirely beige because the outside of his ears arent tan with freckles, but has the same fur on it as his coat. He is very friendly and I just got him today. My female was chasing him earlier upon introduction :p I think she likes him, but was being pretty territorial.tmp_31626-20150709_190252832216482.jpg

tmp_31626-20150709_190352-2065108746.jpg

2015-07-09 19.38.57.jpg

2015-07-09 19.40.38.jpg

2015-07-09 19.46.24.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he looks like a violet. Granted, my monitor doesn't do a very good job with some pictures, but if all I had to go by was that fourth picture, it looks like a murky violet to me.

Yes, a violet. And just fyi, unless you are planning on breeding, you should not allow your male and female to interact. It takes seconds for them to mate.

In addition to what Stack said, those are not safe wheels for chins. Many a toe being ripped off and broken legs have resulted from those wheels. There are much safer solid surfaced wheels available for chins.

that wheel is dangerous plus WAY too small. You need at least a 14" diameter sold wheel. I agree with Stakie you should NOT let your male and female chin together ever.

Even if you plan on breeding, you need to do some research before you put your male and female together. This is evident by the fact that you had no idea what color he is. On my screen, he looks like an oxidized violet. Not something you would want to breed since his color is so poor. Oh, and you need to quarantine the new chin for 30 days before introducing them to each other.

Last edited:
You don't have a pedigree for him (since he is from a pet store) so please do not breed him. You have no idea what health problems he may carry genetically.

deff. a Violet. I have a Violet Sapphire carrier and her fur looks like that if i wear a red shirt next to her or if the lights in the room have a yellow type of tent and if I bring her outside for pictures, in the sun she has a blueish glow.

Back