Chin behaviour changes with age?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamaisVu

Hello everybody!

I wanted to ask those who have experience with more senior chins.

My Kumo is at least ~12 yo (I've had him for almost 10 years, rescue thought he was about 2). Over the last 2 years I've noticed he naps a lot more through the day, in particular over the last couple of months. He's still curious, very treat-oriented, he still will jump on me and be really into playing sometimes, but often he just wants to nap.

He was such an active boy as a young chin that this is a huge change for him and it obviously gets me worried. He's eating fine, I've been keeping an eye on his weight more carefully, and he seems to still be super curious of new things...he just seems to have slowed down a ton.

Is this something that happens with age? Should I reach out to the vet?

Thanks!

Once a chin reaches about 10 (around late 50s if they were human) they can start getting age related issues like arthritis, loss of hearing, loss of eyesight, etc. You might want to get him checked out at the vet just to rule out any health related issues especially if they are treatable. I know some have had good success with giving their chins joint supplements (like the ones made by Oxbow for example) as well as a daily low dose of painkillers to help if the chin has arthritis.

Once a chin reaches about 10 (around late 50s if they were human) they can start getting age related issues like arthritis, loss of hearing, loss of eyesight, etc. You might want to get him checked out at the vet just to rule out any health related issues especially if they are treatable. I know some have had good success with giving their chins joint supplements (like the ones made by Oxbow for example) as well as a daily low dose of painkillers to help if the chin has arthritis.

Oh wow, I wasn't even thinking of arthritis. He's done well in his checkups all the way to early this year, but that's a great suggestion. I'll reach out to his vet, thank you!

Both my girls definitely slowed by the time they were 10. My elder girl, Bella, passed this year at approx. 17 and had arthritis for at least the last year of her life, possibly longer and she was able to hide it. Neither of my girls has wall surfed in ages. Kiwi, is 12 now and comes out of her cage for 10 minutes then goes back in and chills, then will come back out for a couple more 5 minute spurts and then she’s done for the night. Both started having some teeth issues right around the age of 10 as well.

Update on Kumo:

I realized that his poops were abnormally small so I called the vet and set up an immediate appointment, because this no longer seemed just a "naps too much" situation. They ran X-rays and bloodwork on him and ruled out more serious stuff, but still sent me home with medicines and critical care. She said to call if by Monday he isn't noticeably getting better.

For the first time in his life I'm having to administer medicines and critical care. Kumo is a cuddly boy but hates being handled with a passion, so the last 24 hours have been somewhat scarring for him and he looks super sad and pouty and won't even take treats after. I know this is for his own good so of course I'm not giving up, but is there something that has worked for you to cheer up chins after hand feeding/medicines?

I know it sounds bad, but they will get over it. I am hand feeding a chin right now, and she hates it, but once I'm done it's out of sight, out of mind.

I know it sounds bad, but they will get over it. I am hand feeding a chin right now, and she hates it, but once I'm done it's out of sight, out of mind.
He's sulking and doubts my every move now, but if this gets him better we'll have the time to build the trust back up. Already he's being a bit more feisty so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Back