chin behavior changed after moving!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

Hi, I've had 2 chinnies for about a year now. We had no problem with them at our old apartment but I've noticed the transition lately. We moved here for about 5 months now and it took me so long to notice this change. They started to bit the walls, eat our leather chair, our clothes, pee on the carpet (TERRIBLE since we rent the apt. so I'm probably losing money from my deposit) + more bad things. I never had such trouble dealing with them outside of their cage.
What could have caused all of this? Worst is that the pee stains won't come off the carpet even when a carpenter came to try to wash it. I've been so frustrated with them but I can't bear to omit their play time. What should I do??

I'm not sure what would make them change their behavior, but it seems like typical chin behavior to me. If you don't block them off from things they can chew, they will.
Do you have a bathroom where you can let them run around so that if they do pee, it's on tile or linoleum so you can just wipe it up?
That, and cover the walls with broken up cardboard boxes so that they can't chew the walls or furniture.

I agree with Alli. Chins normally chew on EVERYTHING. I made a play area out of refrigerator boxes that way I can limit where they can go during playtime, thus limiting what they are able to chew and pee on.

I don't know if this is just true of some chins, or something more general, but if my chins have access to their cage during play time, then they go back to their cage to pee. Forget about poops, they do that whenever and wherever. However, with peeing, they limit that to the cage. Is there a way with your cage set-up and play area that they can still get in and out of their cage?

Like everyone else said, the chewing seems totally normal. Setting up cardboard around your baseboards can help with that (until they chew through that). Getting a big exercise playpen can still give them enough space to run-around, but keep them confined so that's another possible solution.

I don't know about the move, but I've heard that chins sometimes get more aggressive with their chewing as they get older. That considered, it's possible that they are chewing more because they are a little older now (but I don't know their ages nor am I certain of this fact since I am relatively new to chins)...

At any rate, good luck with your little, destructive fuzzies!

the only thing that is puzzling me is that they never gave me these problems and suddenly they are now. they have access to their cage the whole time during their play time but they don't bother going back in to pee sometimes. they did their business on my bed before =( i'm just sad that their destructive side has come out. they never gave me these problems before. those little fuzzies should be thankful that they're so adorable! i can't even get too mad at them

Are you sure nothing else has changed since your move? Was there another animal living in the apartment before you had it? They may be smelling another animals scent and feel they need to mark things with their own scent.

I knew of someone who had chins and when she moved one of them became very nervous and started spraying. There was a dog in the apartment below her and when he barked he made this chin very nervous. Apparently the chin had been rescued from a hoarder who bred dogs and the chin was harrassed by the dogs. The chin now lives with us (we don't have dogs) and she has been wonderful and relaxed since she has been here. Not nervous at all and very affectionate.

Sometimes little changes that you may not notice will affect some chins in negative ways.

no, the place i used to live in is similar to here. both are apts and pets aren't allowed (the manager doesn't know) so other animals being in the place is most unlikely. I can't think of any difference

be prepared for a BIG bill when you move out. When I had my chins in an apartment, I kept playtime confined to the bathroom and a very small hallway, they destroyed the trimwork and the little bit of carpet in the hallway to the tune of $1600 when I moved out. If I had been smart, I would have put wood or cardboard up before I even let them loose the first time, but I didn't:cry4:

I would try using some 3% hydrogen peroxide on the stain. First test a small hidden area of your carpet to be sure it won't bleach it (there is theory that it can bleach certain dyes, but I believe it's pretty unlikely with only 3%). Spray or pour it on the stain and let it sit, then remove it with a cloth by putting it over the hydrogen peroxide and applying pressure.

Is it possible that your chins are territorial and marking with the pee? Since I got my second chin, the first thing each does during playtime is pee in the same spot (they have separate playtimes in the same room so I am assuming it is marking territory).

Moving can definitely be disruptive and as others suggested, maybe it's something in the environment anything from new ambient sounds/smells to a new arrangement of the space they are in.

Also if you have pets without the manager knowing, who's to say the tenant before you didn't also?

Back