Chin bedding mistake

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlrtorr

So we realized the past week our chins bedding has been plain pine not KD mistake order from amazon. Now she seems to be not eating well and sneezing some. I swapped out the bedding for a fleece blanket until I can run to the pet store for aspen (45 min drive). Will she recover now that we have fixed the issue? I have called our vet locally but I would need to travel even farther for a small animal vet (90 mins). She is about 12 years old. Thanks

Were you using like fresh pine like from a lumber mill or wood chipper? or shavings sold as bedding? Shavings sold as animal bedding are going to be kiln dried (or "heat dried"), otherwise the bags of shavings would get moldy before they sold as well as be sticky from the sap. The only time you are going to find non dried pine in most places in the world would be landscaping mulch. The biggest problem with fresh pine is the sap, which is high in sugar, and the oils in it that are toxic and cause issues like respiratory issues, liver failure, and skin irritation. If you actually used fresh pine then you do need to get to the vet to see if anything can be done.

However, even kiln dried pine can cause respiratory issues if it's dusty though, and being allergic to it is not uncommon. Also, not being able to breath well or smell because of being stuffed up can affect appetite. If it's just a issue from the dust then removing the shavings and replacing with fleece or non dusty shavings should fix the problem.

Thanks yes it is sold as bedding but it did have a very strong smell vs the old bedding we had before. Thank you. She is eating some oats if I soak them now she was refusing this morning

You could switch to fleece or tile if you can potty train. They are amazing. It saves you money. There is no dust. Also makes it easy to spot clean. With fleece I throw mine in the wash about once a week. Depending on how many are in a cage and if they are litter trained you might have to wash it more. If you use tile, you just have to sweep of the poop just like fleece. Then you just wipe it down every so often.

My poor chin is still breathing kinda labored this morning. Only eating very small amounts. I’m not sure what else to do for her. The bedding doesn’t seem to have helped much

I would go to the vet, if you can’t figure out what is causing it. She could go downhill fast.

Last edited:
My poor chin is still breathing kinda labored this morning. Only eating very small amounts. I’m not sure what else to do for her. The bedding doesn’t seem to have helped much
Yeah if changing the bedding didn't help it's possible she has an upper respiratory infection, which quickly turn deadly for chins if left untreated. She needs to see the vet as soon as possible, as in today.

Also on a side note, oats are only ok as a small treat, they can cause gas and bloat if you give more then a few oats a week.

Greetings.

Hi there not sure why is oats being fed? Please provide them regular chinchilla pet food....
Okay yes use fresh pine and wood shavings. Do not use paper pallet those commonly used for cat beddings.
Paper material have a paper powdery effect and it can be inhaled by your chin and cause health problems.
Chinchillas are known to have sensitive ingestion and I read they are sensitive to air particles. - Which why you should stay away from paper beddings and use wood shaves instead. They are sold at pet stores as well.

How is situation now and could you do a cage setup picture?

Back