Chin ate a thin, metal wire, help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellie

So, I have these fairy lights with very thin, metal wires connecting the lights. Well, I let my chin out to play (always under my guidance) and had to step out for a minute. I always ‘chinchilla proof’ my room, so she can’t get anything harmful. This time, however, the lights fell while I was gone, and she began chewing away. They weren’t on, in fact, they don’t really even work. But she ate the very thin, metal wire, and a good portion of it (maybe an inch and a half), too!! I genuinely don’t know what to do right now, and I’m extremely worried. I have her plenty of hay (more than normal) so that maybe it could help?? Ugh I’m not sure...it’s very late and the vet office isn’t open (exotic animal vets don’t stay late at all). Any advice is helpful and welcome. Please!

Where they plugged in? I know you said that weren’t on but were they plugged into the wall. You should check her smooth and make sure it is not burnt or scratched. When the vet opens If it was me, I would take her there. They might be able to X-ray to see if she actually ate it or not. She could have just chewed it up.

The light goes off batteries and there weren’t any in, luckily. And, yes, I think I will take her for an x ray. She is acting very normal right now, but her droppings are very small and sparse. I’m giving her some parsley soaked in water, which normally helps when she is having stomach issues. I’ll probably keep an eye on her for today and then go to the vet tomorrow if something seems very wrong.

I don’t know about parsley. I think it could make it worse. Fruits and vegetables aren’t good for them.

Hmm, I’ll look into that. I’ve heard that before, but when I consulted my vet (many months ago), she said that just a small amount of parsley soaked in water could help my chin get some hydration back. Still, thank you. I’ll recheck with her when I call again, just in case.

Back