Chichi's mouth swipe

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikaia

Gonna keck your butt ;)
Chichi is 2 years old. Last night, I gave her a rosehip and as she was eating, she did this weird mouth swipe thing. She did it a few times. I thought maybe she had some of the seeds stuck in her mouth or something, but then I got worried about malo. She doesn't exhibit any other signs of malo and this is the first time I have ever noticed her mouth swiping. I weighed her the other day and she is around 550g. She is eating, drinking and pooping good. I am going to start weighing her every week to make sure she doesn't lose any weight.

I'm just wondering if rosehips can get stuck in a chin's mouth. I would think the seeds could be annoying, but I don't know.....

Edit: Also, I want to mention that after this happened, I gave her a few pellets by hand and she didn't mouth swipe at all while she was eating. This makes me believe it could have been the rosehip?

Last edited:
Oh thank goodness! I can be quite paranoid.. lol.

Thank you Dawn!

yep, it's that yellow fuzzy stuff in the rose hip! Rhino goes ballistic if he gets any on his mouth, lol, swiping away and looking all undignified until i start giggling at him, then he looks at me like 'what?!? you, human, are the one that gave me the rosehip!'. hahaha!

I can understand why they would do that, I got some on my hand the other day (just got them whole rosehips instead of the crushed ones, so I was unaware of the fuzzy stuff) and it stuck to my palm and felt like it was digging in. Not fun, I learned my lesson, lol.

Back