Chewing or Eating Toys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

VanessaBobby

We are not sure if our chin is actually eating his toys or just chewing them (as well as other things he gets in contact with). When it comes to wood products, we do see the shavings and shredded pieces, but not enough- which makes us thing he's actually eating them. Is that bad? He also eats his bedding sometimes, as much as I can I pull them out of his hands but obviously I can't be with him all day. Is there something we can do to discourage the actual eating?

Naw, he's not eating the toys. He's chewing them. My chins don't leave too much evidence behind either. Maybe some chewed up twigs and things.
When I change their bedding some of my chins will chew on that as well, but I use aspen. Not sure what your using. I wouldn't worry too much about it, well depending on what they are chewing on, like plastic or something that could be harmful.

If he eats his bedding, I'd try to keep him on a wood based bedding (kiln dried pine, or aspen shavings) so it wont upset his tummy or cause any digestive issues. Or maybe try fleece liners but watch to be sure he isnt eating that either.

As for the chew toys, I think a few of my chins might actually ingest small bits of their toys, but for the most part they just chew it up. A big chunk of wood doesnt look like much in piles of chips, but he probably isnt eating as much as you think. If he's even eating it at all.
~Barb~

For the most part my chins turn wood into sawdust so there is very rarely any evidence found. I never noticed them actually eating it the wood. As long as they aren't consuming huge amounts, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I can't give my chin cardboard because he actually does eat it, not just chew it. Everyone tells me that he doesn't, but dang it, I've seen it. :p

Thanks all! I've for sure seen him ingest cardboard too (we tried giving him a toilet paper roll to chew on) and I'm pretty sure he ingested a little piece before I took it away! We'll keep an eye out.

On a side note, how do you guys feel about cuddle bunnies? Do your chins chew on them? Is it a good thing for a chin to have around (we only have 1 chin, so thinking it's a fun cuddly toy)?

On a side note, how do you guys feel about cuddle bunnies? Do your chins chew on them? Is it a good thing for a chin to have around (we only have 1 chin, so thinking it's a fun cuddly toy)?

Do you mean cuddle buddies? The little fleece pillow things that they sleep on/with?

My girls doesn't really cuddle with her cuddle buddy, but she uses it more like a pillow. I think some chins actually cuddle with them though.

Oops, yes cuddle buddies. I definitely want to purchase some of those..

Back