Cat vomiting: clear, thick liquid. Should we see the vet tomorrow?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
Early this morning (4 AM?) my foster cat threw up. I figured, "Eh, just a hair ball. It'll come up," cleaned up, and went back to bed.

Around 7, she brought up a small lump of what looks like feather pieces from a toy and I thought that was the end of it.

Well, she's thrown up 4 times since then, the most recent about 10 min. ago. I still suspect a hairball since she's long haired and it's just started getting warm. She's been very clingy/needy today, and cuddlier than usual. She had no interest in food, but I think she's still drinking water. (I've measured what's in her bowl, so we'll see what she drinks of it.) Luckily I can email my vet at any time w/ symptoms and request advice, but I thought I'd try here too since I know we have a few vet techs and the like poking around.

My instinct says to get some mineral oil/hairball remedy for her tomorrow and offer water w/ a little chicken broth (a Tbs or two) mixed in to encourage her to stay hydrated. I can probably also get some canned pumpkin puree to provide fiber. I'm also a little high strung about medical emergencies, so I don't want to overreact to something simple.

But, common sense says if she's been trying to pass this "hairball" all day w/ no luck, I could be looking at something else. :(

Any thoughts?

if what she threw up initially looked like pieces from a toy, then i would get her to the vet asap. she could have swallowed a large part of the toy and it is now causing a blockage, possibly in her esophagus somewhere.

That was my first worry, but I checked over the toy and there's hardly any damage. :( One feather is sort of chewed, but if she's blocked, it's almost sure to be fur.

She is drinking water, just a few sips at a time, but consistently over the past couple hours every 20 minutes or so. No more throwing up since 11, thankfully. I've left a voice mail for the vet to get her in first thing if they think it's worth it, just to be safe.

Update: The vet called me today to check in, but since she's eating and drinking now, they suggested keeping a close eye on her today and tomorrow and if symptoms reoccur, bring her in ASAP. So, I'm on 72 hr. Kitty Watch. Thankfully I'm also off from my regular shifts so I'm only gone for 2.5-3 hrs. instead of 6-8. So far, so good. Her appetite is back and she's feeling well enough to play, so I'm hopeful (and glad I didn't call a taxi and drag her to the E-vet 40 minutes drive away last night).

Back