Cat-proofing Brainstorming ideas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
I need some suggestions for making my chin's new space safe. They're going to be living in a finished basement (good ventilation and dehumidifier's already in place).

The problem is that one of my new roommate's has a cat, and I need to figure out a way to section off the basement so that the cat has access to his food/litter box and the chins have their own space.

Keeping the cat out of the basement isn't an option, because we need to prevent my other roommate's dog from getting to the cat's stuff.

Right now the cat comes down the stairs and has access to his food/litter which are down the hallway to the right. The chins cages will be going along the wall where the desk and chair are in the picture. I need to find a way to let the cat get down the stairs and around the corner, but not have access to the whole room.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• SDC12342.jpg
    SDC12342.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 43
I guess I would start framing something in, but you will have to get the homeowners permission. If it were my home I would attach a 2x4x8ft to the pipe thing. I would attach chicken wire (cheaper than hardware cloth) to the 2x4. Now on the other side...find a stud, nail in another 2x4x8ft and finish attaching the wire. As for the space between the pipe and the stairs, I would make that my access door

I would recommend framing the area in with fencing also.Since it is a rental though,you could get by with making the frame out of pvc pipe,cable/zip tie the wire to the frames.Then this way it should be light enough to secure the entire piece(picture the door panel piece of a chain link kennel is the look I have in mind)to the walls at each corner with an eye screw and wire.The eye screws won't cause damage to the walls that couldn't easily be patched and you would have a safe open area for playtimes.I would still either shut the cat out of basement for playtime or put cardboard up to prevent kitty fishing for chins through the wire when they are out for playtime.

You know..it might be easier to deck out the cage in 1/4 in. hardware cloth wire. And keep kitties claws trimmed

^ I was thinking the same thing, to add the hardware cloth on the outside of the cages as well as getting something similar to that gate that you posted on fb.

Hmm I hadn't considered hardware cloth before. Luckily this is an indoor cat that has been de-clawed. Still don't want him scaring the chins and sticking his paws through the bars. I was already planning on shutting him out of the basement completely anytime I need to feed or clean cages. I guess I was just thinking that if I could keep him away from the cages entirely the chins wouldn't be scared of a predator stalking them. This has definitely given me some good ideas.

If the cat is declawed you could probably make a room divider/playpen type thing, about 4-5 feet tall, that you could stage around the cage.

That's some pricey cardboard! I say get some old fridge boxes and be cheap if you're going that way.

Personally making a chicken wire cage in no way sounds appealing to me, I like to be comfortable when I'm with my animals. Personally I'd build a wall after asking the owners if I was renting, but I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea.

I was too thinking wall dividers you can get them at like hobby lobby and such, but you could totally take Dawn's example and make it with fridge boxes you can get free from appliance stores. Or depending on how much you read, start a book shelf collection and use them to section off your area. I guess it all kind of comes down to how handy you are and what your expectations on how it looks are as well as what you want to spend.

I was thinking since she has roomates they would wan't to see something that was not a maytag fridge box w/ duct tape, LOL

Maybe get a few of these and attach them together and then attach to the wall to keep steady.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Room-Divide...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a4e43e3

I love this! ^^ Thanks for the link as I was sort of contemplating buying a couple of screens from Pier1 and it was a lot more expensive there.

I was thinking since she has roomates they would wan't to see something that was not a maytag fridge box w/ duct tape, LOL

I agree! My chins are downstairs in the basement. It's a finished basement and my daughter's bedroom is down there as well as the hubby's man cave area. The last thing they (or me) would want to see is ugly cardboard with duct tape all over it :p!

You could always DIY it, and get a few large wooden panels from Home Depot and some hinges, to make your own. MUCH sturdier, and definitely cat proof.

Back