Carefresh or other bedding you might buy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchilla

Be very, very afraid
I know this is long, but hopefully this post will benefit some of you.

I just wanted to put this out there in case it helps anyone. I'm always trying to get the best price and wanted to share my findings. It does cost a little bit more upfront, but saves a lot in the long run. I'm going to compare purchasing it at Petco: online vs. in stores (since this is how I do it).

Carefresh Ultra, white bedding (you can try any bedding or bulk item)

In store, I usually see it for about $24.99 - $27.99

Total for 6, 50 liter bags at $24.99 = $149.94 + tax (here tax is 10% on all things, so my total is):

$164.93

Online - first set up a cash back site. I use bigcrumbs, couponcactus, ebates and fatwallet. I will then compare cashback. For this instance I would use ebates since it offers 6% back on purchases from Petco. Please note: I only use internet explorer when clicking thru as mozilla usually doesn't work for me. If you need more information on how to use cash back, just ask.

Petco.com

http://www.petco.com/product/10791/Carefresh-Ultra-Pet-Bedding.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

150 liters (package of 3) bulk buy with free shipping

$56.99 *2 = $113.98

Next (always find a coupon code!) I use retailmenot.com and Google search (e.g. website name coupon codes) and then will search the first 10 returns

Right now there is one for Petco for 10% off (there was one for 20% off but it just expired, imagine how much cheaper this would be if I was to save another 10%) scene10 is the code for the 10% off, add it at check out.

$113.98 (total of 6, 50 liter bags) - $11.40 (coupon) = $102.98 + tax

$102.98 + $10.26 (tax) = a grand total of $112.84 shipped to my door (Petco gets it here in about a day or two, not too shabby!)

But I also get the 6% from ebates deposited into my paypal account (you can choose check or paypal cashback and they do it on a cycle). That 6% is another $6.15 back off of the purchase price (not total price).

That $112.84 within a month or so becomes $106.69.

Store total = $164.93
Online total = $106.69

$58.24 difference

What would you rather pay? Always search around, look for coupons, use cash back, and be a smart online shopper.

If you buy a lot of an item and maybe want help finding the best deal for you, let me know. When I have time, I'll see what I can dig up for you. If not, it doesn't hurt to find out, eh?

I've always used Carefresh for my ratties and have now for my chins. However, because of a few threads I'm seriously considering switching since I didn't know about the impaction issues. KD pine shavings and aspen is best, right? I've only used carefresh due to it being some of the better stuff for rats. I had no clue it would be bad for chins.

Either KD pine or aspen are fine. I use KD pine because I think aspen stinks and I don't think it does anything to control odor. Then again, I have a large number of chins and that may have something to do with it. I just prefer the pine.

kd pine is great for bedding, not expensive at all to buy (even in pet stores), very absorbent and smells nice too. i use it in Rhino's litter 'bowl' and most likely won't ever switch to anything else.

Aspen does smell weird and I don't like it at all.

I'd go with the pine, too. It will be cheaper and it's safer with the chins. I know that you have to use something else with the ratties and it may be a pain to have to have two different types of bedding around...still, it will be cheaper in the long run since the chins tend to use a lot more bedding.

There's people, who use the fleece liners for their cages, too.

I must be weird, since I actually like the smell of aspen shavings. We've used fleece liners and a Pyrex potty dish since we got Annabelle, 8 months ago. We change it about every 2-3 days. I can't remember the exact price I paid, however we're only on our second (500 cubic) bag so to me that's well worth the $.

Back