Cant decide between a Chinchilla and a Hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justchillin420

Okay I want one and have done weeks of research and still cant decide.
One of the biggest problems is the price!
The Hedgie i can get will be over $400(includes shipping) while the Chinchilla which i can obtain from a petstore would only be about $150.
Of course i heard pet stores are bad to adopt from, for many reasons but those animals also need homes too..
There are no Chillas in my area for me to adopt either :(
So if i want a Chilla the store is the only option.

I just wanna know what you guys think, im an 18 year old who only goes to school for a few hours so ill have plenty of home time!
1.The baby will be in my room and i know you adjust a hedgies sleeping schedule but would that be the same for the Chilla?(im assuming not since they are Nocturnal)

2.How can Hedgehogs be fun pets? What are some things so i can have fun with it?

3.Neither are obviously easy to take care of, but me having plenty of time do you think either willbe okay with me? I dont do much after school but play videogames..

4.If i do get a Chilla, is it alright for him to play out his cage in my room as long as i watch it, theres no where in the house besides the restroom what could be considered Chilla proof.

5.Which are more lovable? I keep getting mixed reviews. Of course Chillas arent the cuddly type i ahve heard they will sit with you.
My cousin had a hedgie once all he did was sit in the corner he would never unball when picked up

Any other advice and tips would be great! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!
And please dont try and discourage me i will take care of this pet :)

The price of the hedgehog may be more, but the cost of the chinchilla supplies (including a very large cage) will be much more than the cost of hedgehog supplies.

You can get a decent sized hedgehog cage for under $100 with no problem. A large chinchilla cage is usuall at LEAST $150 if not a lot more. You'll also need wood shelves, chew sticks/toys, bedding, dust, bath house, wheel (a safe one), water bottle, food dish, hay rack, hay, etc.

For a hedgehog, you would need bedding, hiding place, food, mealworms, wheel, etc. Not as many supplies needed and they take up less space.

So the costs kind of average out to more than you would think. The cost of buying the pet is the easy part! Haha!

I have never had a Hedgie, but I do know that I adore my Chinchillas. They are super cute and playful. They have the funniest antics of any animal I've ever known. My Chins sit with me for 10-20 minutes at a time with no problems. They just have to take a little while to get use to you. They are not typically cuddly animals but it depends on the personality of the Chin. Regardless of which pet you pick, you will have to be constantly getting supplies. Only difference is that Chinchillas need more chew toys but there are a lot of sellers on this site who sell reasonably priced items. You can keep the chinchilla in your room, but keep in mind because they are nocturnal they are VERY active at night. I have heard people say that their chins keep them up at night. Something to keep in mind. It should be okay for the chin to play in your room as long at there are no electrical wires for them to chew on or anything for them to get into. They are VERY mischievous and WILL get into EVERYTHING lol.

All in all, I think it's largely a personal decision. What do you think you would enjoy more? And do you have the necessary money to keep up with the needs of the animal, including vet bills? All things to consider :)) Good luck and I hope you make the right choice for you.

I can't give much input on the chin vs hedgie as I don't own a hedgie, but I wanted to say that while pet store chins do need homes, the more people buy them, the more they will get and mistreat. Maybe you could post your location?

It also depends on if you can have AC for a chinchilla or heat for a hedgehog. Will you be able to keep the room 65-70 for a chinchilla or 75+ for a hedgehog?

I agree that if you get a chin from a pet store it will just be replaced with another one. The only way to stop the sale of chins if for people to simply stop buying them. That being said, you may want to check out craigslist or a local shelter to see if you can find one that really needs a home.

As far as which one, both are going to be expensive. Any vet care is going to be expensive should you ever need it.

Chins expenses start with the animal, then you have to add in a cage, food hay, waterbottle, dust, dust bath, shelves, chews. Plus any fun stuff you may want like a wheel, fleece liners, toys etc. The restroom is a great place for playtime, if you do it in your room the room needs to be chin proofed.

My chins wil pretty much play when ever you want to although they are nocturnal. They make a MESS it is unavoidable, but they dont smell.

Hedgie expenses start with the animal, but you can get most of their supplies relitively cheaper than you would a chin. I know many people keep them in plastic tubs. Then you need a wheel, hidey house, cat food, meal worms, food dish, heatingpad/heater,
Also witha hedgie you will be seeing the vet more often.

You also need to think about the long term. A chinchilla can live 20+ years when taken care of properly. Hedgehogs are 2-4 years.
Read through both of these threads for more info.
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42

good luck and let us know what you decide!

Where are you located? Hedgies are illegal in some states, and the people aren't always aware of that.

This post is going to sound discouraging, but I'm not trying to say don't get one... just I want to ensure its a right match for you.

When asked to give pros/cons or tell someone if a hedgehog is a good pet I usually ask them what they are wanting out of a pet. So let me ask the same of you....

What is your expectation of your pet and what are your limitations? Do you want a pet that is interactive? One you can play with? One that will cuddle and allow you to pet it? Or do you want one which you can mostly watch and laugh at for their antics?

I'm a hedgehog person, I've had hedgehogs for over 15 years. I love these little guys and they are are a good match for me. However they are not for everyone. What I find adorable others may disagree.

Hedgehogs are nocturnal, they will be up mostly at night. They need cages with lots of single level floor space and will need a good solid surface exercise wheel, and they will poop on the wheel. It will require daily cleaning as it will be poop smeared. A hedgehog will also poop and pee on you. Hedgehogs require their cages to always be over 72 F minimum, some need it warmer. This can be impossible to keep during winter for some people. Some hedgehogs like human interaction, some want nothing to do with you and will not come out to play unless it is completely dark in the room. Hedgehogs have amazing personalities, and can be very stubborn.

I mention all of the above because these are often common complaints from people who have given up their hedgehogs after discovering that they are not the right pet for them.

I'd say the biggest factors are going to be mostly ones that were already mentioned.

-temperature: what you're able to make your room/house (AC and can afford to keep it on a lot for a chin, if you can keep the heat on a bit for a hedgie)

-life span: fitting either a chin or hedgie into your future plans, having them where you'll be living. For a chin, this is more of an issue because chances are better you'll have them for longer. Depends on what your plans are, could be an issue or not one at all.

-expense: of course, any animal can be expensive...depends on if it gets sick, has problems etc. Chins cost more also just because you want to buy them things that will last their lifetime. This means high quality cages and wheels. The other stuff is cheap, but builds up, I'm sure like hedgie stuff does too.

-vets: being in an area with a vet who knows about whichever species you get is important. I've seen a number of posts from people who have sick chins and they just can't get to a vet because there aren't any around. Not being able to get urgent help when you need it is not fun.

Is this really a good time for you to get a pet? How are you going to pay for an exotics vet for either one if they need it? If you're going to rely on your family for help in that situation, realize that your folks and their finances will essentially decide if your pet could live or die. :(

If you're getting ready to go to college, who will take care of it once you go? Most colleges do not allow furry pets in the dorms, and sneaking it in can have serious (legal, sometimes) consequences.

If you're not going away to school, will you be able to find an apartment in a couple of years that will allow either one? Hedgehogs live 3-5 years and Chinchillas can live 20+. Are Hedgehogs even Legal where you live? (They aren't in PA and a few other places.) From experience I can say that apartment hunting w/ a cat and Chinchillas was a NIGHTMARE, and I'm in a worse place than I could have been if I didn't have them, but that's the type sacrifice you make once you've made a commitment to an animal that lives 15 years or more.

That said, I've "baby sat" a hedgie and own 3 chins. The hedgie is probably the less expensive pet to keep in terms of caging, feeding (they can have a lot of human foods in addition to their catfood mix), and electricity. My electric bill almost triples in the summer b/c I have to run an A/C unit for the chins. They should stay around 70* max at all times.

I would NEVER go to a pet store for an exotic pet, either a hedgie or a chin. And $150 for a chin kept in crap conditions in a pet store is WAY more than you'd pay going through a reputable rescue or breeder, which will also take some of the guesswork out of whether its healthy or not (and be far more accurate at sexing). $50 is about the standard for a rescue/pet quality nonbreeder from someone actually doing it right. Railroads/transportation is available to most parts of the country if you decide to go with the chinchilla, but again, they're expensive to cage ($200 + shelves that need replaced yearly) and to keep entertained (I spend $200/year on chews, easy, and I bargain shop on the web rather that overpaying at a pet store). And lord help you if you need a vet! The good ones are few and far between, and of course, expensive.

In short, DO NOT go to a pet store; buying from them just makes the animal mill problem worse, and 98% don't know what they're selling you anyway. Coming to these forums was probably the BEST thing you could do to research these animals. :thumbsup:

Another issue w/ the chins that wasn't a big deal w/ the hedgie is clean up. I wish I could take a picture of my cage for you right now to see the scale of mess you'd be dealing with: poop, hay, pellets, and chips of wood all over the floor, all over the inside of the cage, and if you don't sweep up/wipe down every couple of days at least, cleaning becomes a monumental task. The hedgie I took care of needed his pee corner cleaned out nightly and any fresh foods taken out of the cage after about an hour or so. With a weekly bedding change and his dish/bottle washed on the weekend, that was about it.

As far as personality goes, the hedgie I watched had a lot of it, it just happened to be that of a grumpy old man. They're a "sit and let it hang out with you" pet, and some get quite tame and like their bellies scratched, etc. Chins are a lot more variable: of the 4 I've lived with, one is an attention sponge, two like(d) me on *his* terms, and one is kind of "meh, whatever" about me. But even my "LOVE ME DANGIT" chin doesn't like to be held. So, strange as it sounds, if you want something to cuddle, the hedgie is probably the better option, esp. since it's (hopefully) coming from a good breeder that has been handling it and keeping it on a healthy diet from the start.

Maybe a better option for you right now would be a Syrian hamster or a pair of same-sexed Gerbils. They're smaller, so easier to house and less expensive to maintain. Comparatively, my Syrian had at least as much personality as the previously mentioned hedgehog and was right up there w/ the chins in terms of entertainment. Unless it got super hot, I didn't have to keep the temperature a certain level, and she cooled down easily w/ a frozen water bottle b/c it didn't matter as much if she got her fur damp. (Chins can get a skin fungus from damp conditions.) Food mixes are more easily available for hammies and gerbils, + they get fresh human foods like raw veggies, cooked pasta, and unseasoned cooked meat like the hedgie. They're also (often) more handleable than a Chin.

My first pet once I was out of my parents' house was a fish b/c I couldn't have furry animals in my dorm. But, tbh, it sounds like a "pocket pet" might be the best option for you right now. Wait until you have a pet friendly apartment/house of your own and a steady job before bringing home a hedgie or chin. That'll also give you a lot more time to research and decide which one is the best fit.

Thanks for all the help and info guys it was great!

I live in Wilmington, North Carolina. We do have animal shelters here but from what i can see they only help dogs and cats? Not 100% sure though.
If you guys can find any close breeders thatd be cool cause i couldnt really find any, or ones that ship that are close by.
And yes i know all about the temperature issue with both animals and that is another reason the Chinchilla would suite me better as well.

But i went to look at the Chilla yesterday at Petsmart and it was up and about running around in the middle of the day! It seemed pretty good, she told me it was about 4-6 months old which i obviously cant confirm if thats true or not..
And
I really liked the poor thing though it was the only one.
Grey too :)

If you'd like an idea of where PetsMart/PetCo type stores get their chinchillas and other animals, go search for the Arlington Rescues threads.

Both breeders/rescues in NC are in the center of the state. Considering where you're located, maybe talking to Crysta @ Jax chinchilla rescue is a good idea too. She does a lot of railroads up and down the east coast, and I know she's got rescue chins that need places too.

Thanks Crysta.

I'm about 3 hrs from Wilmington, but I can meet you somewhere off of I-40 if you were interested to make the trip about 1.5 hrs one way. I do have quite a few rescues available at this time as well as retired breeders and even a few babies.

Spoiled Chins is no longer breeding chins from my understanding.

There's also Kayla down in Fayetteville that may be able to help you.

But i went to look at the Chilla yesterday at Petsmart and it was up and about running around in the middle of the day! It seemed pretty good, she told me it was about 4-6 months old which i obviously cant confirm if thats true or not..
And
I really liked the poor thing though it was the only one.
Grey too :)

I echo everyone's advice about going to a rescue or a breeder and getting a chin. Not only will you be giving a chinny or hedgie a new lease on life, but you will know his history, if it is a reputable breeder, anyways. Though this may not be the case with a rescue, you will at least know that it is not sick when you get it, as long as it is a reputable rescue. Pet stores are in it for the money, rescues are in it for giving a chinny a new and better life.
Money is going to be the biggest issue for you. Just as an example, My chin Herby is what is known as a "malo" chin, or a tooth chin. Without going into specifics about the condition ( read some of the threads on here for more in depth info on it ) when she was first diagnosed with maloclusion, ONE vet bill cost me over 500.00. And every 8-12 weeks it costs me 300$ or more for filings, meds and x rays. Not to mention the many nights and days of hand feedings and lost sleep due to getting up every 2 hours to feed. I had to put school on hold for a while, in order to get Herby well again. And still I know that one day, I will have to make that decision and end her pain.
You are still in high school, right? Can you afford to take off and care for a sick chin or hedgie? I know you may still live with your parents, but this will be your chin or hedgie, no? Is it fair to your parents that they take care of it while you are at school?

In the end, it is going to be up to you to decide whether or not a chin or hedgie is right for you. But I hope you listen to the others when we say that owning either one is a time consuming and often heart wrenching job.

Both breeders/rescues in NC are in the center of the state. Considering where you're located, maybe talking to Crysta @ Jax chinchilla rescue is a good idea too. She does a lot of railroads up and down the east coast, and I know she's got rescue chins that need places too.

I don't see what the point of putting a chinchilla through the stress of a railroad would be when she has breeders nearby with rescues needing homes. I don't think pet people think about this, but it is MUCH harder for a breeder to place rescue chins than it is for a rescue to place rescue chins.

To the OP, if you want a chinchilla, go through a breeder or reputable rescue. Don't get an animal from a pet store as you will only encourage them to replace the animal and chances are they are being supplied by a crappy backyard breeder that inbreeds the heck out of their chins. If you go to a breeder or a rescue, they can very easily give you a good idea on the chinchilla's disposition since they are familiar with chinchillas and their personality quirks. I second Crysta's recommendation of adopting a rescue from Tiffany. They came from a "hoarder" situation and deserve homes just as much as the next rescue.

My thought was if someone in, say, SC was looking to rehome and called Crysta, what's the difference between transporting to Wilmington v transporting to Jax if the OP can take him/her?

True, but that's a stretch and not really necessary to think about when there are rescue chinchillas in need of homes only 3 hours from where the OP is. I'm sure anything Crysta would be taking in would be in need of medical attention as well since she is a smaller rescue and works with the chinchillas that need the most one on one care. I don't think a new owner would be well equipped to deal with illness of any kind. It's great to support rescues, but breeders do rescue work as well and you can support rescues with supplies etc. if you can't adopt from them. Plus, I'm sure Crysta and anyone else rehoming a rescue would want to meet the person in question before passing off their precious cargo.

1.The baby will be in my room and i know you adjust a hedgies sleeping schedule but would that be the same for the Chilla?(im assuming not since they are Nocturnal)
-------Hedgies and Chinchilla's are the same when it comes to their sleep schedule. I have both hedgehogs and chinchillas. I recently got my hedgehog and honestly I love her to death. Both of these animals like to sleep all day and are very active during the night. The other thing is that chinchillas need it to be cold while hedgehog's need to be warm at all times. So that is another thing you have to consider. My hedgehog is in my room and I have to keep my room at 80 degrees all the time, while my chinchilla's like the mud room where it is very cool.

2.How can Hedgehogs be fun pets? What are some things so i can have fun with it?
------Patience is the key with any pet. I really enjoy my hedgehog but it is just like a chinchilla. They don't come out and play with you in a few days it takes a long time for them to bond with you. If you don't have patience just get a dog or a cat.

3.Neither are obviously easy to take care of, but me having plenty of time do you think either willbe okay with me? I dont do much after school but play videogames..
------As long as you have a few hours a day you should be fine so you can dedicate those few hours to whichever pet you decide to get.

4.If i do get a Chilla, is it alright for him to play out his cage in my room as long as i watch it, theres no where in the house besides the restroom what could be considered Chilla proof.
------I would block off an area where you play with the chinchilla. They can get into a lot of harmful things even if you think you are being careful.
5.Which are more lovable? I keep getting mixed reviews. Of course Chillas arent the cuddly type i ahve heard they will sit with you.
------They are both very lovable, but like I said it takes a lot of time and patience to even get them to like you at first. I have two chins that I got a few months ago and they are the firendliest things I have ever met. Mine love to snuggle with me and they love following me around. My hedgehog, however, loves to be held and talked to. They both are equally wonderful.

I think you should do a bit more research.
Where are you located exactly? I would try to find a breeder in your area.

Back