Can you tell me what she is?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cola89

She has dark ruby eyes and little bitty brown spots on her ears.

Attachments

• Chinchillas 003.jpg
    Chinchillas 003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Chinchillas 008.jpg
    Chinchillas 008.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33
Uneducated guess - Hetero Beige? (Red eyes, freckled ears, and fur color lead me to that...)

i bought her from petsmart almost a yr ago when she wasnt as brown and they told me she was a unique grey lol

Hetero beige, just like my Lena!!! Now that I have one hetero and one homo I can tell a lot easier...but it is hard to tell a bit with your girl because the freckles are so light you can barely see them

ur girls are sooo cute <3

Thanks so much guys lol her eyes still freak me out sometimes though lol im glad there dark

Yep, hetero beige. Petstores are the worst for getting accurate colors. Beiges oxidize with age, which is why her color darkened with age.

omg i swear her color has changed so fast lol i noticed a little brown like 3 mo ago. i was hopeing she was a beige sapphire someone said those were really cool lol so thats what i wanted

Whats the diff between a hetro and a homo beige? im guessing one is more beige-ier than the other?

Whats the diff between a hetro and a homo beige? im guessing one is more beige-ier than the other?

The most simple way to explain is that a homo beige is a "pure" beige and a hetero beige is beige x standard. Homo beiges are much, much lighter and have redder eyes. Heteros, like yours, are darker with darker eyes.

The chin below is my Tilly who is a homo beige.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 19
Yup, hetero beige she is.

The difference between hetero and homo beige genotypically (the genes they possess even if they aren't expressed) is that a hetero beige inherited the standard gene from one parent and the beige gene from the other. Since the beige gene is dominant, if it's there, it will be expressed. Homo beige inherit the beige gene from both parents, and is therefore in the homogenic state (hence, the term homo-beige).

The difference phenotypically (how they look) is that hetero beige have a greyish tinge to their "beigeness," dark ruby eyes, and freckles on their ears. Homo beige are lighter and creamier with no grey undertones, pink ears, and bright red eyes.

Sorry - missed the time limit for editing. . .

i bought her from petsmart almost a yr ago when she wasnt as brown and they told me she was a unique grey lol

HAHA. Petsmart would tell you she was a purple people eater if they thought that would sell her.

She is, however, a very cute beige.

i didnt buy that she was a unique grey but for a while we thought maybe she was a sapphire lol then she has started to get a little more brown and i kinda thought she was a beige but i want a definate title lol

i didnt buy that she was a unique grey but for a while we thought maybe she was a sapphire lol then she has started to get a little more brown and i kinda thought she was a beige but i want a definate title lol

I'm pretty sure that saphires will not get the freckles on the ears like the beiges.

Yeah, it is always neat to know what they are, even though you will love them just the same in the end. My boyfriend had two for years, and had no idea what color they were. We thought they were a "medium standard" and a "light standard"...they are a beige and brown velvet. lol! Now, a year or so later, I can tell the difference between most colors, but when you first start looking at them, they just look sooo similar.

I dont think i want another beige. dong get me wrong if i come across another chilie i probably would get her but the red eyes freak me out lol. so a hetro beige i can stay with lol i cant do a homo beige

You think so now. Me and Silverrose's first female was a hetero-beige. Then she had another hetero-beige. Then a brown velvet. Then we bought another hetero-beige who had a hetero-beige baby. Now we have some pink whites too which is yet more beige love.

We were spooked by their demon eyes too, especially when they kak at you while their eyes are glowing. It's so ferocious! But they grow on you, especially when you've got a beautifully groomed beige. It just makes your heart melt, and this coming from a guy. :heart3:

You think so now. Me and Silverrose's first female was a hetero-beige. Then she had another hetero-beige. Then a brown velvet. Then we bought another hetero-beige who had a hetero-beige baby. Now we have some pink whites too which is yet more beige love.

We were spooked by their demon eyes too, especially when they kak at you while their eyes are glowing. It's so ferocious! But they grow on you, especially when you've got a beautifully groomed beige. It just makes your heart melt, and this coming from a guy. :heart3:

thanks lol yeah i love her to pieces im actually freaking out because there is a tornado and i wanna make sure she is going to be ok

Back