Can someone help me out

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

My chinchilla Maggie has giardia and is taking medicine for it. I have quite a few questions to ask about it and was wondering if someone with experience could email me so i can ask my questions. Its just a pain for me to keep coming on here and resonding back and forth alot because i am on my phone. My email goes directly to my phone so its alot easier. I just wantto know proper sanitizing procedures of wood and stuff like that.
[email protected]
Any help would be appreciated thanx

But if you go private, then the rest of us don't learn anything. The purpose of a forum such as this is for everyone to learn from each other's experiences. You'll also be limiting yourself to the advice of one person, while others with more experience who only log-in once a week won't be able to correct any poor advice that you're receiving.

Well my question is the proper way to sanitize her cage and everything in it. And also about water. I had been giving her spring water from market basket but now i guess i will be giving her dasani? Because that is the only brand ive found in stores that has been thru reverse osmosis.....
I had just bought her all new shelves and fleece i just want to make sure i clean it all properly so i can get rid of this giardia. She is getting flagyl twice a day for ten days.
Her poop is better,its been 4 days on the flagyl. Any responses or help would be appreciated.

I have only had her for 7 weeks and she had soft stool off and on the whole time so im thinking she already had it when i got her but i dont want to chance it thats why i was looking for water that has been thru reverse osmosis.....
My other question was if the giardia is in my water then would she still get it just from me washing her things in it?
I have scrubbed all her wood items and poured boiling hot water over all of it twice... Is that enough to kill it? And also i let her out in my hallway and there is carpet... Will the giardia be on my carpet and will she get it again?

Well my question is the proper way to sanitize her cage and everything in it. And also about water. I had been giving her spring water from market basket but now i guess i will be giving her dasani? Because that is the only brand ive found in stores that has been thru reverse osmosis.....

Most stores have gallons of RO water listed somewhere along the lines of "drinking water." Just check the labels for the purification method.

I have only had her for 7 weeks and she had soft stool off and on the whole time so im thinking she already had it when i got her but i dont want to chance it thats why i was looking for water that has been thru reverse osmosis.....
My other question was if the giardia is in my water then would she still get it just from me washing her things in it?
I have scrubbed all her wood items and poured boiling hot water over all of it twice... Is that enough to kill it? And also i let her out in my hallway and there is carpet... Will the giardia be on my carpet and will she get it again?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the process of cleaning isn't that giardia is contagious by touch.. The chin running on the carpet shouldn't be an issue unless soft poo is being crushed into the carpet fibers. The reason you clean the cage vigorously is to prevent re-infection. We've all seen our chinnies pic up their poos and eat them, you need to make sure there is as little infected poop in the cage as possible until the flagl has had enough time to work. Till then, the chin will continue to have the wet/squishy poop, thus squishing it all over their shelves, getting it in their fur, tracking it on their paws all over the place.. This needs to be kept as clean as possible during the healing process to prevent them from getting it from old poop that was infected. And if the giardia came from unsafe (usually tap) water, then their bottle especially needs to be sterilized really well.

I usually don't let my chin out for playtime out of the cage until they are back to normal. This is especially true for anyone who has more than one chin, the chins will easily pass giardia to each other if they are cagemates or exposed to an infected chins poops in a common play area.;)

I've been going through the process of trying to get rid of giardia for just over a month. I try to vaccuum the girl's cages at least once/day to reduce the number of poos they can get their grubby little paws on. Mine don't have soft, squishy poos, though...so I'm not sure how much fun your shopvac will have...

I understand its not contagious by touch but if she chews on the wood couldnt she be reinfected?

Now i am freaked out because i just looked flagyl up online and apparently it can cause liver damage? And only kills 50% of the parasite?!
Anyone know anything about this?

That false statement came from CAchins and that had been proven false years ago, the joy of the internet and the spread of incorrect into. Flagyl is fine.

That false statement came from CAchins, has been retracted years ago and was proven false years ago, the joy of the internet and the spread of incorrect into. Flagyl is fine.

Sorry just worried about her. Shes sleeping alot since she started the medicine.

Ticklechin is right.. We were given flagl for our giardia situation year before last, the chins who took it are fine. :)

I just wanted to let everyone know that maggie seems 100% better! She will be going to the vet soon for a fecal test to be positive.
She has been eating her lifeline everyday,and she took the albon for 5 days like dawnna suggested. Alot of people said that would not work but it really seems that it has worked and i will post her vet results on here as soon as i know.
Her poop has been normal for a week now,and her behavior is back to normal. She had been sleeping alot in a weird way like her belly hurt or somthing.
Im so excited about this and wanted to share and hope that she really is all better :)
I think dawnna is awesome for making the lifeline it is a great product.

I'm so glad that she is doing better and hope that you get nothing but good news from the vet. =)

Back