Can I give extra medication for my chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had taken in my chinchilla for a tooth trimming because he was drooling not too long ago and afterward the doctors told me to give him some antiinflammatory medicine for 2 days which I did. About a week later he is still drooling and having trouble eating, is it safe to give him more antiinflammatory medicine or is this bad for his health.

I would talk to the vet before giving medicine for longer then prescribed. Some of them they are only safe for short periods of time, or only safe for more long term at a different dosage. Also if he is still drooling and having trouble eating a week after the tooth trimming something else might be going on and he might need to go back to the vet.

It can happen that the vet cut the cheek or something during the trimming, or even cracked a tooth without realizing it. Also were x-rays taken? or did they just trim the teeth and hope that there was no root growth? If the roots have started to grow that could be causing the pain, and trimming will no longer help.

They only trimmed his teeth and xrays were taken on another day and showed no other problems. Thanks for the help, we'll be sure to take him to the vet.

Back