Can chinchillas eat this??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmyjj

Hi everyone,
I usually order a big bag (10kg) of chinchilla food to prevent this from happening but it was supposed to arrive the other day but still hasn’t and I don’t have time to go to the pet shop as they close in 15mins. I also haven’t had much time as I am working overtime because I don’t have much money at the moment, some of you may relate. I used up the rest of their food yesterday but I wasn’t expecting a delay in the delivery, please don’t judge me! I’m not sure when it will arrive so for now I would like to know if this food is safe for them to eat just for today, I will go and get some chinchilla food tomorrow. This food is for my sister’s guinea pigs:
6EA9A1C6-1099-4625-8637-661A3A7830E1.jpegOnce again please don’t judge me for not being able to get their food sooner, I was only told today that it didn't come because the driver split open the food in the lorry by accident. If this is not suitable for them, what could be a replacement? They have plenty of hay but they like to have both.

That food isn't really good for chins, the peas especially the chin can have a hard time digesting resulting in gas and bloat, barley and oats are also gassy for chins, and the fiber content is also low. Also with chins you can't just switch foods overnight, you need to slowly go from one food the another over several weeks, or hold off giving pellets for a few days, just hay then switch. To switch back you have to go through the whole process again, and each time you risk stomach upset.

Assuming your chins are not young kits and you can get food within the week, I would just hold off on giving pellets until you get their proper food. Healthy adult chins should be fine eating hay for a few days, they just might not be happy about it.

Also, you ordered the food, it's not your fault the driver split open your order, things happen. :)

That food isn't really good for chins, the peas especially the chin can have a hard time digesting resulting in gas and bloat, barley and oats are also gassy for chins, and the fiber content is also low. Also with chins you can't just switch foods overnight, you need to slowly go from one food the another over several weeks, or hold off giving pellets for a few days, just hay then switch. To switch back you have to go through the whole process again, and each time you risk stomach upset.

Assuming your chins are not young kits and you can get food within the week, I would just hold off on giving pellets until you get their proper food. Healthy adult chins should be fine eating hay for a few days, they just might not be happy about it.

Also, you ordered the food, it's not your fault the driver split open your order, things happen. :)
Okay, thank you! This puts my mind at ease :)

Back