Call for Entries for 2012 CnH Hedgehog Calendar Contest: Deadline extended to 10/28

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menagerie

Creative Genius
I've been given the go ahead from the Administration again to organize an official CnH hedgehog calendar for 2012.

The details:

Submission requirements:
1. Images need to be high quality. If taken with a digital camera, they need to be taken at the digital camera's highest setting. Digital images ideally should be at least be 9" x 11. 5" at 150 dpi (1350 x 1725 pixels). CafePress will trim the edges to 8.5" x 11". Ideally, send me the original digital camera file. The file format should be JPEG.

2. When submitting photos, please also provide your screen name, your general location, and the name(s) of the hedgehog(s) in the photo.

3. To start we will put a limit of a maximum of 6 photos from each forum member. We may up this if we don't get enough submissions.

Remember, the bigger the better when it comes to photos. If your photo is too small, it won't be eligible, even if it's a perfect photo, as it will be too pixilated when enlarged and printed. Focus is important. Many a perfect pose has been turned down because the photo is out of focus. While it might not be noticeable in a smaller format, out of focus photos don't translate well to calendar sized prints. If your photo isn't chosen for these reasons, please don't take it personally. If your photo isn't big enough for the calendar, it may still be usable for other items in the CafePress store.

Where to send submissions:
Email the photos to [email protected]. This email address can accept large files.

Who can submit:
Any member of CnH is eligible to submit photos.

How many photos can I submit?:
To start we are limiting the number of photos to 6 per member. We may increase this limit if submissions are low.

The deadline:
The deadline for accepting entries is October 28, 2011, midnight, Pacific time. This means you have four weeks to submit your photos. Anything submitted after that will not be accepted.

How the voting works:
1. I will create six polls. One for Jan/Feb, March/April, etc. Seasonal photos will be included in the appropriate months (i.e. Easter, Christmas, etc.). Each poll will probably be limited to a maximum of 8 photos.

2. The two that receive the highest votes from each poll will go in to the calendar.

3. Then a final poll will be set up for the cover with the final 12 images.

I hope that's not too confusing!

How the photos are chosen for voting:
Once I receive the photos, I'll give each photo a number, and print them out. I will go only on photographic merit, on what I think would make a good calendar photo, and not base it on who's photo it is. Please don't be offended if your photo doesn't get included in the final vote. No doubt I will receive more than the 48 entries, so unfortunately some won't make it. If we do receive more than 48 awesome photos, we may increase the number in the poll. That will be decided after photos have been submitted.

I'm also going to leave names off the poll entries as well, so it doesn't turn into a popularity contest. No doubt you may recognize some of the photos that are submitted, and who submitted them, but please base your vote on the quality of the photo, not who took it.

Polls will be up hopefully not too long after submissions close. I will finalize voting dates once they're up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance to everyone who submits!

Last edited:
I'm hoping to take pics tomorrow to submit. So, how many of you have submitted images?

I wish I could, but my pics are from my phone; ie, not so great quality for a calendar. Ah well...

Your phone images may be better than mine at the moment! Trying to take clear photos of a new hedgehog that is just a little uncertain about the whole situation is becoming a bit of a challenge.

For those she sits still for, the focus was just a little off, for those the focus was good on, she moved. I may have to dig back and see if I have any of the angels from earlier this year to submit!

I've seen some really cute shots on here lately, hopefully you all are submitting them!

Would be beautiful to see Rose, Cooper, and Poptart... a season of Stormriders?

But gosh, those pics of Miss Hannah and her babies - such cuties and such great shots.

And all the others who've posted such cute pics!

And the pics yet to come...

Am definitely getting excited to see more beautiful hedgie pics.

I've only received a few hedgie photos. We're gonna need lots more. :hmm:

Come on hedgie people. I know you can do it. :dance3:

Come on guys, submit those images! Doesn't your hedgehog deserve a month of its own?

For the hedgies only, I've increased the number of photos per person to 6.

I've also extended the deadline for submissions to Friday, October 28, 2011.

Thank you! We were taking pictures and had a big set back. Greyson felt a little too stressed out and began chewing on himself. I feel really bad, I should have paid better attention to see how he was taking it though he has had "photo shoots" before and had no problem.

I will try for some more photos again this weekend (need the light during the day) with the hogs that don't have strange anxiety quirks.

Thank you! We were taking pictures and had a big set back. Greyson felt a little too stressed out and began chewing on himself. I feel really bad, I should have paid better attention to see how he was taking it though he has had "photo shoots" before and had no problem.

I will try for some more photos again this weekend (need the light during the day) with the hogs that don't have strange anxiety quirks.
Poor Greyson, I hope he feels better soon.

Only a few hours left.

I've just gone through and sent email conformations to the latest batch of people who submitted.

Back